Subject: RE: [opendocument-users] Implementor notes

Hi Bart,

I was not thinking that the OIC's on-line Specification Analysis would be a
place for implementation notes or even linking to someone's
implementation-note details.

It seems to me that implementation notes need to be independently
authorable, versioned, annotated, etc., and their availability and content
should be under the authority of the respective implementer.

 - Dennis

MORE THOUGHTS

My thinking is that the on-line OIC material be a resource that
independently-developed implementation notes can use to refer to the
deep-linkable version of the ODF specification along with its connection to
OIC analysis, conformance notes, interoperability cases, and test guidance.

I was not suggesting anything about how implementation notes would be made
available.  I imagined that independently-developed web-accessible ones
could tie to the OIC Specification Analysis and related material.  I'm sure
implementers will have their own ideas about the way they want to develop,
organize, and deliver any implementation notes, especially with
consideration of different releases, handling up- and down-level
accommodation of different ODF versions, etc.

For any implementation notes that I make, I will use web pages that link to
the OIC material.

In the absence of the on-line OIC material, now that I see how to organize
the material as an annotated hypertext document on the web, I would simply
do the same thing using web pages directly, with cross-references with the
accompanying implementation interpretations.  I imagine the result would be
similar to the Microsoft notes and annotations for the Office 2007
implementation of ODF, especially when made locally searchable in nice ways.
I'm not sure whether enabling comments at the individual implementation
topic is needed for my projects.  Fine-grained note-level commenting could
be provided using something like Disqus perhaps.

In many ways, using a web-authoring approach would permit direct tie-in with
source-code management and versioning support.  Much of the complexity of
bending MoinMoin to my will would be avoided.  Either way, there is probably
more that can be done with automated tools in the off-line authoring part of
the task.  (I would not use a database for presentation, but page-generation
might eventually be supported by a database in some way.  That is beyond my
current planning horizon.  I always find a manual technique that works first
and then see how to computer-aid the process once I have a good
understanding of what's needed.)

What I have learned about all of this so far is recounted at
<http://wiki.oasis-open.org/oic/SpecAnalysis/Discussion>.

 - Dennis

Dennis E. Hamilton
NuovoDoc: Design for Document System Interoperability
mailto:Dennis.Hamilton@acm.org | gsm:+1-206.779.9430
http://NuovoDoc.com http://ODMA.info/dev/ http://nfoWorks.org