orms message

Subject: RE: [orms] Attendee list of aborted ORMS TC telecon 2008-06-11

> Given the aborted call, should this meeting count towards voting rights?

Bill, Drummond, Jean-Jacques:

I do not here intend to subvert the OASIS rules, but Bill's question is valid,
and points in the direction of some implicit latitude in the OASIS process
that could be considered legitimate grounds for exploitation.

Let's start with an orthogonal case: some TCs have discovered that one
plausible end-run around the EXTREME (!) OASIS IPR rules [comparatively
speaking] is to convene a TC meeting -- using the phone-in machinery
with passwords -- that's designated an 'unofficial' TC meeting, so
as to permit Observers and Outsiders to speak as normal, decent, human beings
in the meeting.  Viz., create an agreeable rule in the TC, if all/most
agree, that only every third meeting "counts": the other two meetings
are unofficial meetings that need not be quorate, and they can allow
reasonable free-for-all collaborative work.  Get it?

I won't name names, but other TCs have discovered this strategy. The
key would be consensus buy-in from your members who feel that unofficial
meetings do not threaten the health of your TC, or [hmmmm.....]
do not detract from the incentive to pay money to join the TC.

In the range of my personal experience: most "paying" members are
happy +1 for contributions from non-paying (or OASIS "Observer")
parties because the OASIS fee is relatively insignificant compared
to the **real cost** ($$) of being engaged.  Viz., the technical contribution
of a non-member may be valued by paying members of the TC at way more
than the $250 individual membership.  When I was a graduate student, I
promise you: $250 was a HUGE amount of money.  CEOs have lost touch.

Worth considering? You decide.  Most who want to be engaged can
probably come up with $250, and can.  But **if** they can't: you have
a way to conduct collaborative work, consistent with and
orthogonal to the OASIS process.  I think the TCs are thus empowered.

-rcc

(please don't forward this to my boss)

Robin Cover
OASIS, Chief Information Architect
Editor, Cover Pages and XML Daily Newslink
http://xml.coverpages.org/