Subject: Re: [oslc-core] Delegate UI use cases - Chained dialogs (wizards)

I presume you have already seen my initial answer to Ian on this topic [1]

However, that does not directly address your example. Two more thoughts on that:

1. Does the consumer know that the provider will include a selection of AutoPlans in the AutoRequest creation dialog? Does the spec allow the provider to rely on pre-fill to select the AutoPlan? (This might just be addressed by "best practice" guidance, or adding a MUST for the providers, depending on how strict we want to be - I know my original reading of the spec lead me to believe this was valid, but I haven't been back to check).

2. What if the consumer wants to customise that flow? In the main consumer (so far) of our product, after the AutoPlan selection dialog, it allows you to either choose to create an AutoRequest, or find & select an existing AutoResult. In this case it has to piece the dialogs together on the consumer side, which means the second point in my email to Ian comes in to play: "If the provider already provides AutomationPlan selection on the AutomationRequest creation dialog, either the consumer app needs to know this and not include the AutomationPlan selection dialog in the wizard flow, or the AutomationPlan selection on the creation dialog needs to be suppressed (probably the former)." (Pre-fill could be used to address this, but it raises the question: does pre-fill just give a default AutoPlan selection, or does it say that's the only one the user should be allowed to use on that particular instance of the dialog? Otherwise the user could face an AutoPlan selection dialog twice - once provided by the consumer, and a second time as part of the provider's AutoRequest creation dialog, just with the same value they had selected the first time pre-selected)

Martin

[1] https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oslc-core/201403/msg00006.html

From:        Steve K Speicher <sspeiche@us.ibm.com>
To:        oslc-core@lists.oasis-open.org,
Date:        13/03/2014 13:41
Sent by:        <oslc-core@lists.oasis-open.org>

> From: Martin P Pain <martinpain@uk.ibm.com>
> To: Arnaud Le Hors/Cupertino/IBM@IBMUS
> Cc: oslc-core@lists.oasis-open.org
> Date: 03/05/2014 06:01 AM
> Subject: [oslc-core] Delegate UI use cases - Chained dialogs (wizards)
and
> returning resource representations
> Sent by: <oslc-core@lists.oasis-open.org>
>
> I've submitted two delegated UI use cases to the wiki page [1]:
>
> * (mp) Chaining of dialogs (creating wizards from dialogs). Scenario: In

> OSLC Automation, a user might want to use a selection dialog to select
an
> AutomationPlan, then be presented with an AutomationRequest creation
dialog
> for that plan (or AutomationResult selection dialog, if appropriate).
(One
> solution would be to encourage providers to include selection of those
prior
> resources in their later selection dialogs, but allowing composition on
the
> client side allows more flexibility).

Trying not to get too far into problem solving mode but was curious why
this couldn't just be handled within existing dialogs.
For example, I launch a creation dialog for AutomationRequests...the
dialog first provides you with a list of plans to select, or it is
prefilled/selected based on the URL found in the dialog descriptor.

Just curious why this approach doesn't work.  I've seen other
domains/tools do something similar (not for automation) but when they need
to first select then create.

Thanks,
Steve Speicher
IBM Rational Software
OSLC - Lifecycle integration inspired by the web ->
http://open-services.net

https://wiki.oasis-open.org/oslc-core/DelegatedUIUseCases

https://wiki.oasis-open.org/oslc-core/Meetings/Telecon2014.03.06

> > Please, note the new call-in info.
> >
> > Steve Speicher created a new document to capture the use cases and
> > requirements for delegated UI. Please, add your own use cases and
> > requirements as well as those for the Development and evolution of
> > vocabularies which we already started.
> >
> > We'll discuss these this week.
> >
> > Best regards.
> > --
> > Arnaud  Le Hors - Software Standards Architect - IBM Software Group
> Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.
3AU