oslc-promcode message

Subject: Re: [oslc-promcode] Comments on Proposed Change to Measure

Wakao-san,

Yes, using URIs for the metric and the units is more aligned with Linked
Data design principles. I  believe that are now less differences between
PROMCODE and EMS.

The OSLC EMS spec defines URIs for units of measure and other related
concepts. See [1]. I recommend that PROMCODE use those URIs and the
associated EMS vocabulary terms. At the next meeting I will describe the
OSLC EMS vocabulary.

EMS defines many types of metrics. In your example, you are measuring
size. ems:SizeMetric is the class of size metrics. It contains the metric
metric:Sloc for source lines of code (SLOC). The other size metrics are
Effective SLOC, Function Points, Story Points, Use Case Points, and Ideal
Days. Other types of size metric can be defined.

You can measure SLOC in lines of loc (unit:Loc), and thousand lines of
code (unit:Kloc).

EMS defines the type ems:Measure [2]. Suppose that a UI module has 5 KLOC.
In EMS the RDF in Turtle is:

<#ui-module-sloc-measure> a ems:Measure ;
        dcterms:title "Source lines of code size of UI module measured in
KLOC" ;
        ems:metric metric:Sloc ;
        ems:unitOfMeasure unit:Kloc ;
        ems:numericValue 5 .

The benefit of PROMCODE adopting terms from EMS is that other OSLC
specifications also may use measurement concepts. It makes sense for all
OSLC specifications to use a common vocabulary. For example, OSLC
Performance Monitoring has adopted EMS. See [3].

EMS has been in the Convergence stage for a long time. We need to get more
feedback from other specifications. This means that if PROMCODE has other
requirements, we can modify EMS.

[1]
http://open-services.net/wiki/estimation-and-measurement/EMS-1.0-REST-API-Standard-URIs/
[2] http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/MetricsEmsMeasure
[3]
http://open-services.net/wiki/performance-monitoring/OSLC-Performance-Monitoring-Specification-Version-2.0/#Resource.3A-ems.3AMeasure

Regards,
Arthur Ryman, PhD

Chief Data Officer, Rational
Chief Architect, Portfolio & Strategy Management
Distinguished Engineer | Master Inventor | Academy of Technology

Toronto Lab | +1-905-413-3077 (office) | +1-416-939-5063 (mobile)