oslc-promcode message

Subject: Re: [oslc-promcode] Re: Including files in specifications for PROMCODE

Robin,

Sounds like we are converging. We'll ask for your feedback when we start
to publish documents. Thx.
Arthur Ryman
Chief Data Officer
SWG | Rational
905.413.3077 (phone) | 416.939.5063 (cell)
IBM InterConnect 2015

From:   Robin Cover <robin@oasis-open.org>
To:     Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Cc:     Kazuhiro Funakoshi <k-f@bk.jp.nec.com>,
"oslc-promcode@lists.oasis-open.org" <oslc-promcode@lists.oasis-open.org>,
Steve K Speicher <sspeiche@us.ibm.com>, Robin Cover <robin@oasis-open.org>
Date:   12/17/2014 02:20 PM
Subject:        Re: [oslc-promcode] Re: Including files in specifications
for PROMCODE

> The files in question are RDF which do qualify as computer language
files

Yes, I would have thought so, given the principal intended use of any
common (.n3, .ttl, etc) serialization.  So, thanks, Arthur.  I think I
understand (enough) about various serializations you might want to use,
including support for any of these, as we have already agreed:

text/n3
text/turtle
application/n-triples
application/ld+json
application/rdf+xml
application/xml

The OASIS TC Process section on "Computer Language Definitions" is
motivated by the concern that machine-readable files be made available AS
(separate) plain text -- that is, separate from an Appendix or
(Sub-)Section within a narrative prose document.  Prior to the formulation
of the TC Process rule (here:
https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/tc-process#quality-formalLangDefns
 ). OASIS TCs would sometimes present an XSD, DTD, or other
machine-readable file ONLY in the prose document, from which users would
need to screen-scrape or otherwise extract content to create a usable
"file" (directly usable by a parser or other applications software).
Arguably, that extraction process is error-prone, and may not preserve
white space conventions, etc, etc, etc.   Hence: the requirement that any
such representations (serializations, formats, whatever), even if
displayed verbatim as display text within the prose document, must be
included as separate files in each release.  The manifest document we
publish with each release includes an MD5/SHA-1 digest value for each such
separate machine-readable file (QA support).

We have already agreed to provide support for transparent content
negotiation, as needed, in providing representations (e.g., based upon
Accept headers in requests).

The OASIS requirement to publish "plain text" as separate files is
agnostic about how the plain text "computer language definition" files
(static storage objects) are created or generated.  We do want them
created AS files and placed (bitwise) on the file system in the official
publication hierarchy.

Similarly, it's understood that you can indeed generate the HTML for a
vocabulary as part of your processing (XSLT or whatever).  That's great
(and cool).

So I think nothing is in doubt here other that the details about
construction of the URIs for the primary prose document (or for multiple
independently titled prose documents in a Multi-Part Work Product), where
the URIs for a prose specification cover page should conform to the Naming
Directives.  For that purpose, is essential that commitment is made to
"Work Product" as the fundamental entity: it is key to construction of the
URIs, which transparently reflect the directory hierarchy in the
production/publication server.

To make that clearer, perhaps: the section "Required Document URIs"
pertains to construction of URI references for a prose Document Cover
Page; see:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/specGuidelines/ndr/namingDirectives.html#specURIs

For a simple Work Product, there would be only one main/principal titled
prose document, and it must conform to the template provided by TC
Administation, with al the required sections.  Its cover page displays the
required URIs (aka "document URI") which identify the Work Product as a
whole.   Any other HTML documents that are part of the Work Product need
not conform to the same "document URI" pattern: the filenames may be
release-agostic and version-agnostic, for example (incorporating no
filename component for Version or Stage or Revision).

The rules for constructing  (prose cover page) "document URIs" are a bit
more verbose, but follow the same essential pattern as for a simple Work
 Product having one primary prose document; the URIs add components for
"parts" if the Multi-Part Work Product has independently titled prose
parts:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/specGuidelines/ndr/namingDirectives.html#URIs-MP

Please let me know if we can provide additional guidance here.

- Robin