Subject: RE: [pkcs11] Groups - Kem Algorithms uploaded

Hi Bob,

I noticed the following wording that needs updates:

  • Occurrences of C_Encaspulate/C_Decaspulate, C_Decapslate, C_Encapsulated/C_Decapsulated, C_Enapsulate, Decapsulte across the 2 proposals
  • Proposal KEM Algorithms, section 1.4.2 Kyber public key objects: I suggest to include the attribute {CKA_ENCAPSULATE, &true, sizeof(true)} in the example
  • Proposal KEM Algorithms, section 1.4.3 Kyber private key objects: remove attribute {CKA_PARAMETER_SET, &param_set, sizeof(param_set)} from the example, as per definition the parameter set is not specified in the private key template

I have no additional topics for discussion than the ones you already brought up.

Best regards,

Dieter

From: pkcs11@lists.oasis-open.org <pkcs11@lists.oasis-open.org> On Behalf Of Robert Relyea
Sent: Wednesday, February 1, 2023 1:09 AM
To: pkcs11@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [pkcs11] Groups - Kem Algorithms uploaded

Submitter's message
General decisions in this and the KEM API proposal which bear more discussion:

1) I called the new functions C_Encapsulate and C_Decapsulate rather than C_EncapsulateKey and C_DecapsulateKey. It might make sence to go with the former as it matches C_WrapKey, C_UnwrapKey, and C_DeriveKey.
2) I added C_Encapsulate/C_Decapsulate definitions several existing mechanisms: CKM_RSA_PKCS, CKM_RSA_OAEP, CKM_RSA_X509, CKM_ECDH_DERIVE, CKM_ECDH_COFACTOR_DERIVE, CKM_DH_DERIVE, CKM_DH_X9_42_DERIVE.
I didn't add C_Encapsulate/C_Decapsulate definitions for any of the RSA TPS mechanisms. The seemed pretty specific for TPS.
I didn't add C_Encapsulate/C_Decapsulate definitions for any of the ECDH/DH variants which use 2 keys (They don't really map to KEMS).
I added CKM_RSA_X509 KEM as the NIST RSASVE. It might make since, to define a separate mechanism fro RSASVE (which is KEM only).
3) For Kyber, I defined a single mechanism and key type and the Parameter set is an attribute of the key. I defined the parameter set as a PKCS #11 constant and not a set of parameters since the security of Kyber is tightly tied to getting the parameters correct (and it avoids issues we have with using parameterized curves in ECC).
I also defined the mechanism as providing Kyber.CPAPKE if used with wrap/unwrap. Should this really be a separate mechanism. The private key in Kyber CPAPKE is a subset of the CCAKEM private key. The public keys are identical. It's possible NIST will not define a public CPAPKE interface, but just define it as a primitive used to build CCAKEM.
Kyber key lengths are a bit a a mash. I chose the public key length as key length specified in C_MECHANISM_INFO, and set it's length to bytes (which is different than our existing public key algorithms, but consistent with all the new Post Quantum algorithm documentation).
I did not define any of the 90s Parameter sets (though everything is specified in a way that adding future parameter sets would not be difficult). it's even possible we could define experimental Parameter sets that match the Round 3 Proposal.
We could also define the parameter sets as an oid, and push the definition back to x509/ansi.
-- Mr. Robert Relyea

Document Name: Kem Algorithms

Description
Algorithms that can use the new Kem APIs
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Mr. Robert Relyea
Group: OASIS PKCS 11 TC
Folder: Working Drafts
Date submitted: 2023-01-31 16:09:14

Utimaco IS GmbH
Germanusstr. 4, D.52080 Aachen, Germany, Tel: +49-241-1696-0, www.utimaco.com
Seat: Aachen – Registergericht Aachen HRB 18922
VAT ID No.: DE 815 496 496
Managementboard: Stefan Auerbach, Martin Stamm

This communication is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorised and prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the email.