Subject: RE: [plcs-dex] identification of organition

Title: RE: [plcs-dex] identification of organition

Dear Rob,

Well spotted!

One direction to consider the answer to this lies in ISO 6523 - Structure for the identification of organizations and organization parts.  This standard is at the heart of how PLib makes unique reference to things.  The standard defines an organization identification to consist of an ICD plus an Identification of an organization.   The International Code Designator (ICD) is the data element used to uniquely identify an organization identification scheme.

This would seem to raise the following points:

(1) a standard (i.e. a document) lies at the heart of this identification scheme;

(2) certain organisations would appear to be "universal" (e.g. ISO?).

We probably can not assume (1) to be the case in all situations but do we need to offer alternatives of either organisation or identification scheme as being the context for identification?  Point (2) suggests reference data to me but I am not sure where we have got to with using reference data for individuals as opposed to types.  We probably can not be sure that we will be able trace back to pre-determined universal organisations in all situations (ISO 6523 is by no means a well-known document although I believe some of the other major identification schemes for organisations map back to this).  I think a given exchange or sharing context leads to a set of organisations that are "universal" to that context.

Not much clarification here but perhaps a strand or two to follow further ...

Cheers,
Tim.

________________________________

From: Rob Bodington [mailto:rob.bodington@eurostep.com]
Sent: 05 May 2005 17:25
To: plcs-dex@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [plcs-dex] identification of organition

Hi

I have started to review some of the core capabilities and have a question about assigning an organization.

We have proposed that an organization is identified by identification assignment - no problem.

We have also agreed that an identification_assignment must be assigned in the context of an organization that owns the identifier.

Fine. But how do identify that organization? At some point you have to put use the Id attribute on organization.

An example is shown below.

Any suggestions?

Regards
Rob

Rob Bodington
Eurostep Limited
Web Page: http://www.eurostep.com <http://www.eurostep.comhttp://www.share-a-space.com <http://www.share-a-space.com>

Email: Rob.Bodington@eurostep.com
Phone: +44 (0)1454 270030
Mobile: +44 (0)7796 176 401

DISCLAIMER: ***SECURITY LABEL: NOT PROTECTIVELY MARKED***   The information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee.  Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorised.  If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message, or any action or omission taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.  Please immediately contact the sender if you have received this message in error. This e-mail originates from LSC Group. Registered in England & Wales No 2275471 Registered Office: Devonport Royal Dockyard, Devonport, Plymouth, PL1 4SG