Subject: RE: [plcs-dex] identification of organition

Sounds like a case for standard reference data... and I mean data. Just a
thought..

Perhaps a few of these organization id-assigning organizations predefined in
the RDL as instances could help solve this problem. For example, I think
most organizations have a DUNS code don't they?

Cheers,
David

--------- Original Message --------
From: Tim King <tmk@lsc.co.uk>
To: 'Rob Bodington' <rob.bodington@eurostep.com>,
'plcs-dex@lists.oasis-open.org' <plcs-dex@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 06/05/05 07:47

> RE: [plcs-dex] identification of organition
>

> Dear Rob,
>

> Well spotted!
> &nbsp;
> One direction to consider the answer to this lies in ISO 6523 - Structure
for the identification of organizations and organization parts.&nbsp; This
standard is at the heart of how PLib makes unique reference to things.&nbsp;
The standard defines an organization identification to consist of an ICD
plus an Identification of an organization.&nbsp;&nbsp; The International
Code Designator (ICD) is the data element used to uniquely identify an
organization identification scheme.

> This would seem to raise the following points:
>

> (1) a standard (i.e. a document) lies at the heart of this identification
scheme;

> (2) certain organisations would appear to be &quot;universal&quot; (e.g.
ISO?).

> We probably can not assume (1) to be the case in all situations but do we
need to offer alternatives of either organisation or identification scheme
as being the context for identification?&nbsp; Point (2) suggests reference
data to me but I am not sure where we have got to with using reference data
for individuals as opposed to types.&nbsp; We probably can not be sure that
we will be able trace back to pre-determined universal organisations in all
situations (ISO 6523 is by no means a well-known document although I believe
some of the other major identification schemes for organisations map back to
this).&nbsp; I think a given exchange or sharing context leads to a set of
organisations that are &quot;universal&quot; to that context.

> Not much clarification here but perhaps a strand or two to follow further
>

> Cheers,
> Tim.
>

> ________________________________

about assigning an organization.

> &nbsp;
>

> We have proposed that an organization is identified by identification
assignment - no problem.

> We have also agreed that an identification_assignment must be assigned in
the context of an organization that owns the identifier.

> Fine. But how do identify that organization? At some point you have to put
use the Id attribute on organization.

http://www.share-a-space.com &lt;http://www.share-a-space.com&gt;

> Email: Rob.Bodington@eurostep.com
> Phone: +44 (0)1454 270030
> Mobile: +44 (0)7796 176 401
>

> DISCLAIMER: ***SECURITY LABEL: NOT PROTECTIVELY MARKED***&nbsp;&nbsp; The
information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged.
It is intended solely for the addressee.&nbsp; Access to this message by
anyone else is unauthorised.&nbsp; If you are not the intended recipient,
any disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message, or any action or
omission taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be
unlawful.&nbsp; Please immediately contact the sender if you have received
this message in error. This e-mail originates from LSC Group. Registered in
England &amp; Wales No 2275471 Registered Office: Devonport Royal Dockyard,
Devonport, Plymouth, PL1 4SG

Message sent using UebiMiau 2.7.2