Subject: Issue with assiginning reference data

Hi

I have just raised this major issue capabilities/assigning_reference_data/dvlp/issues.xml#RBN-7

against assigning_reference_data

<!-- ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ -->

<issue

   id="RBN-7"

   type="general"

   status="open"

   category="minor_technical"

   by="Rob Bodington"

   date="05-10-25">

<description>

There are currently three templates specifying different ways of assigning reference data:

assigning_business_specific_reference_data

assigning_reference_data

assigning_code

Assigning_reference_data is used by default in most templates that need reference data

e.g. assigning_organization.

However,  in different situations, each of the three approaches to

assigning reference data is appropriate. This then raises the question as

to how to represent this within a template such as assigning_organization.

Option 1) We could have three templates for assigning_organization. One

for each use of reference data. This would not really address the problem

as any template using assigning_organization has the same problem.

Option 2) We could exclude the assigning_reference_data from

templates. This has a disadvantage in that the reference data may be

inconsistently applied or not applied.

Option 3) Always use assigning_reference_data in other templates. Document

the fact that when assigning_reference_data is used

either assigning_business_specific_reference_data, or assigning_codes could

be used instead. In fact, it could be argued, that only

assigning_business_specific_reference_data or assigning_codes should be

used. As both have the same template arguments, we avoid any problems.

Perhaps we need a special parameter set for class information that

indicates whether the class is standard, business or a code.

Furthermore, the instantiation patterns of

assigning_business_specific_reference_data and assigning_codes are

different, one uses classification_assignment to relate two classes, the

other uses Subset - they should use the same.

</description>

Regards
Rob

Rob Bodington