Subject: RE: [plcs-dex] Assigning identifiers with no organization

Title: Message
Hi Sean,

I admit, there is perhaps an issue to say that these part relationships should ideally be in representing_parts rather than in assembly_structures. The context though, is usually through an assembly & identifiying the source of the part, rather than beginning at a part. Having said that, generating a parts list etc., inc. source organizations would need this if present.

If an OEM is managing parts then I would expect to see a full set of information enabling the UID to be in place.

With that said, a part instance and it's corresponding instance of part_version would then have both an organization & a date-time stamp associated with them.

Assuming that the original part instance then gains another part number (2nd identification) with a detailed, although different orgn, but no additional version id set on the existing instance of part_version, then it has to be assumed that any version is acceptable. The default (usually) being the latest version issued.

Thus the version refered to by receivers of data from Orgn 2 (b) in your example below will be the one issued by either Orgn1 or Orgn3 depending upon the date-time stamp set alongside the respective versions. If the order presented below is in date order (the last being the newest), then it will be R0.

If there is no date-time stamp, then the latest managed version should be identifiable by recursing through the product_version_relationship aspect of the model to establish which was the preceeding version and which the successor. However, this assumes that the product_version_relationship has been populated. If it has, then it requires distinct instances of part_version.

Thus, by definition, the answer is not unambiguous, but that's due in part to catering to the chaotic side of some businesses & also in part to PLCS being so flexible.

I would say one more thing about this. PLCS creates the possibility that this data could be represented inconsistently but correctly in an exchange file. For example, the version sequence defined through the product_version_relationship attributes could be used incorrectly to assign the older version as the successor and the newer version as the predecessor (relating vs related issue) - which would be obvious if each carried a date-time assignment, but less so if the date were not present. I don't believe that there are any constraints to ensure against this.

Regarding the problem faced by a distributed environment. I think the digital mock up assembly of C003 provides for the basic case where a subcontractor is detailing the design of a sub-assembly and creates the new parts. In such a case the subcontractor need not require or need to see the full product model. On receiving the sub-assembly design, the prime contractor would then capture this using their own part numbering mechanism through the drawing envelope mechanism described alongside the text of supplied_part_relationship in C003. The point here and question that this raises, is whether the prime contractor should then maintain this relationship in future exchanges downstream in the lifecycle.

I also understand that in a tightly integrated, but distributed/subcontracting envrionment, the prime may issue the subcontractor with a set of part numbers to use in advance (though I guess that must be pretty close to the final design iteration). Thus, if the subcontractor uses their own part number scheme & then maps them to those provided by the prime, I would assume they would be responsible for providing both sets of this information an the exchange file to the prime.

These discussions probably are best in a workshop type environment, as there is a lot of detail to read & the examples are not as thorough as they should be (need instance diagrams), but the results should be made visible & documented where necessary.

Regards,
Tim

NB You are right about the description in C003 does show separate instances of part rather than a single instance as I described in b), which I think is fine, except that this was documented wrt compatibility with the PDM schema usage without this issue in mind. The reason to point to the same instance of part was because of reducing the amount of redundant data if only another part number is added. For example, all the product_category rules and other associations that a specific instance of product has, will need to be satisfied in order to complete the product model. I believe though, that two distinct instances of part (one for each part_version) should be acceptable, but then the new part id should not be assigned to both.