Subject: RE: [plcs-dex] Assigning X to Y or Y to X

Some observations:

1) Given the richness of the capability we are aiming to support, some
ambiguity is inevitable.

2) A major driver for the use of the assignment approach is that items have
different life-cycles. Therefore one rule is to consider which of the items
under consideration is changing fastest - and assign that one. I appreciate
that this will sometimes not be clear.

3) Some of the examples quoted by Sean would be better handled by assigning
to an assignment. In this case there is less ambiguity because we have no
"assignment_assignment" entities. (e.g. a task assigned to a part under a
particular contract, the contract should be assigned to the assignment of
task to part.)
(if task developed under a contract, assignment of contract is then correct
IMHO)

4)  Where specific semantics are provided (such as is the case with
resources versus assigning the task to an item in the role of resource), use
the detailed semantics. (There will always be ambiguity - does the
engine_service apply to the engine (task_assignment) or does it need an
engine to be performed (required_resource)? In this case if an engine is
necessary as a "spare part", both cases apply. Otherwise use the former.)

Specific to the question Sean and Leif debated:
My position is that all resource_item relationships should go via
required_resource to allow for the case where the same resource plays
multiple roles in the task and multiple different resources can play the
same role. The intent of required_resource is to capture the role.
Resource_item_assignment was introduced to allow for cases such as when a
part is designed to be specifically used with another (as a tool, for
example) - a relationship that is independent of tasks.

	Nigel