plcs message

Subject: Global rules in the AP

Hi

One of the issues in the recent debate about NSN and identification was the need for global rules.

AP239 had several major technical  ballot comments against it complaining about the lack of global rules.

This was one of the reasons for Germany initially voting NO.

One of the ballot comments was about global rules enforcing what is already documented in the mapping tables. This has been resolved.

The other comment is about the lack of global rules in general.

We have also had a discussion about the need to have some global rules in capabilities.

I agree with Per-Ake, think that we need to be very careful about adding global rules as they can restrict the use of the AP.

Having said that, I think that there are a few areas where we will benefit from global rules in the AP as opposed to the DEXs/capabilities.

E.g.

Any identification assignment must have an organization assigned to it.

Any product_as_individual, product_as_realised, product_as_planned, part, part_version (note the model has changed!!!) must have at least one identification assigned to it.

Note, I am not enforcing any classification or anything, just enforcing an instantiation template.

What do people think to having such global rules in the AP as opposed to the capabilities?

One reason at least is keeping the bargain on changing the German No vote to a Yes.

Are there any other instantiation templates that we want to enforce?

Regards
Rob

Rob Bodington
Eurostep Limited