plcs message

Subject: RE: The saga on "manage identification"

Agreed, assuming that Rob B has by now decided that the uniqueness rule
should go in the Capability/DEX, not in AP239 itself.

John Dunford,
Eurostep Limited,
25, Chaucer Road, BATH BA2 4QX, UK
Tel: +44 1225 789347
Mobile: +44 0797 491 8202
www.eurostep.com
www.share-a-space.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Per-Åke Ling [mailto:per-ake.ling@eurostep.com]
Sent: 27 October 2004 19:00
To: john.dunford@eurostep.com
Cc: 'Gordon Robb'; 'Tim Turner (Offsite)'; 'Rob Bodington'; 'Tim King';
torirgen@eunet.no; trine.hansen@dnv.com; leif.tonning@dnv.com; 'Leif
Gyllström'; plcs@lists.oasis-open.org

Understood and completely agreed. However, there is an issue 3, raised
by Rob regarding adding a rule to enforce identification. If I
understood correctly this would be a rule at PLCS schema level, and it
was that issue I debated and was not happy with. If Rob meant adding a
rule to the capability, my apology and my reasoning is beside the point.

Regards,
Per-Åke

John Dunford wrote:
> Sorry to prolong this exciting debate (especially as I started it) but

> there are two issues here and they are getting muddled up.
>
> Issue 1 considers whether to impose uniqueness requirements on the
> "id/organisation" pair within a capability or DEX.  I support this
> idea, although it will require action by the translators of some
> legacy systems to define the assigning organization, where this is
> implicit within the system itself.  And no bad thing I hear you say!
>
> Issue 2 concerns the nature of the item being identified.  Here my
> concern is make sure that PLCS Capabilities and DEXs establish a
> coherent approach to handling the problems caused by the misuse of
> specific identifiers - notably the NSN - within legacy systems.
>
> The solution to this problem is neatly explained by Tim's in the "Dear

> John" note below!  As Tim correctly states, in PLCS, an NSN is an
> identifier of a resource_item AND OF NOTHING ELSE.
>
> Many legacy systems however, do not recognize the distinctions made by

> PLCS between resource_item, part_version, slot, and part_as_realized.
> As a result they sometimes (often?) use NSN as identifiers for any/all

> of these things.  When mapping such data into a DEX, it is important
> to re-establish clear distinctions, so that any recipient can
> understand what the data in the DEX really means.
>
> It follows that NSNs should ALWAYS be recorded in DEXs as the
> identifier of a resource_item, WHETHER OR NOT THIS ENTITY IS
> RECOGNISED BY THE LEGACY SYSTEM.  The entity being identified should
> be mapped into the DEXs as whatever it really is: a part, a slot, a
> realized part etc.  If the entity in the legacy system is anything
> other than a resource_item, it will not have an identifier per se in
> the DEX file, unless one is generated by the translator, but it will
> be related to a resource_item, identified by the NSN.
>
> Can I please be assured that this approach is being followed,
> especially in DEX 1, 4, 7 and 8.
>
> John Dunford,
> Eurostep Limited,
> 25, Chaucer Road, BATH BA2 4QX, UK