plcs message

Subject: FW: Ian Sloss LSC Colleague and Friend

It is with great regret that I circulate the news of the passing of one of the stalwarts of the PLCS community, Ian Sloss.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife and family at this difficult time.

Howard Mason
Corporate IT Office
Tel: +44 1252 383129
Mob: +44 780 171 3340
BAE Systems plc
Registered Office: 6 Carlton Gardens, London, SW1Y 5AD, UK
Registered in England & Wales No: 1470151

From: George Webb
Sent: 10 August 2010 09:45
To: *All LSC Staff
Subject: Ian Sloss LSC Colleague and Friend

It is with great sadness that I inform you Ian Sloss died last night at 8.15 pm, his final moments were peaceful and he was surrounded by his loving family.  Ian had fallen ill after getting into difficulties during the swimming leg of the London Triathlon on Saturday 7th August, although Ian received immediate medical attention and was resuscitated at the event he never regained consciousness.

Our thoughts and love are with Ian’s family, we are providing whatever support we can do at this difficult time.

Ian died doing something he loved supporting a cause in SSAFA that he was committed to, Ian’s plans in retirement included playing a wider role in SSAFA’s efforts in supporting our Armed Services personnel in need.  That was Ian:  a competitor, a fundraiser, thinking of others, a great man.  Most of all Ian was a family man and we all just wish he had been given more time to spend with them.

We have already spoken to a good many of Ian’s friends and colleagues who share his families and our distress.  You may be aware that Martin Palmer, LSC’s Chief Executive for many years, was a close family friend of Ian’s, he knows the high regard and affection Ian was held in at LSC and has asked me to pass on his respects to all of you.

Ian joined the RAF in 1963 as an Engineering Officer, and over the next 27 years his career took him far and wide.  Ian gained experience on a number of airframes that were iconic during his period of service, from Vulcan to Tornado. As a Group Captain Ian served as Station Commander at RAF Locking, and was promoted to Air Commodore where he served as Chief Executive of the RAF Logistics Support Services Agency. A competitive swimmer and water polo player, during his career Ian also served as Secretary, Deputy Chairman, Chairman and President of the RAF Swimming Association.

Upon leaving the RAF in April 2000, Ian joined LSC Group to assist LSC engage with the Air domain, and during his time with the company  served in a variety of roles, from Head Of Sales to informing the development of capability in the business. Latterly, Ian was fundamentally engaged with FLIS, and was recently leading our engagement with the fledgling Military Aviation Authority.

My personal memories of Ian will all be good, from his tummy problems at our sales conference which he uniquely cured with curry, his preaching while a little squiffy to our most important client with me kicking him under the table, his knowledge of our capabilities, his honesty and most of all his friendship and support.  When I have had difficult decisions to make in LSC I have relied heavily on Ian’s values as a guide.  Ian you will be greatly missed.

So over the next few hours and days remember Ian, tell stories about him, laugh, cry, support one another and think about his family.

LSC has a good heart, today it is broken.

George

DISCLAIMER: ***SECURITY LABEL: NOT PROTECTIVELY MARKED***   The information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee.  Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorised.  If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message, or any action or omission taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.  Please immediately contact the sender if you have received this message in error. This e-mail originates from LSC Group Ltd. Registered in England & Wales No 2275471 Registered Office: Devonport Royal Dockyard, Devonport, Plymouth, PL1 4SG, having a place of business at Lincoln House, Wellington Crescent, Fradley Park, Lichfield, Staffordshire WS13 8RZ and at Catherine House, St Thomas Street, Weymouth, Dorset, DT4 8EH. VAT number: GB 655 1330 55

Please consider whether it is necessary to print this e-mail

This email originates from Steria*. It, and any attachments, may contain confidential information and may be subject to copyright or other intellectual property rights. It is only for the use of the addressee(s). You may not copy, forward, disclose, save or otherwise use it in any way if you are not the addressee(s) or responsible for delivery.
If you receive this email by mistake, please advise the sender and cancel it immediately.
Steria may monitor the content of emails within its network to ensure compliance with its policies and procedures.
Any email is susceptible to alteration and its integrity cannot be assured. Steria shall not be liable if the message is altered, modified, falsified, or edited.
* Steria Limited, number 4077975;
Steria Recruitment Limited, number 1437998.
Registered in England and Wales; registered office Three Cherry Trees Lane, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire HP2 7AH