provision-comment message

Subject: RE: [provision-comment] Unique Particle Attribution constraint violation problem in SPML schema

Title: Message
Chris,

This error is caused by what is called the "Open Content Model" that is supported in SPML and a few other specifications. The Open Content Model allows for extra information to be carried in an XML document while still being schema compliant. One example of why you might want to do this would be add an XML Digital Signature to some part of a XML document.

Most parsers treat this as a warning rather than an error. If your parser of choice won't allow this, just remove the any attribute and any element declarations.

Jeff Bohren
Product Architect
OpenNetwork Technologies, Inc

-----Original Message-----
From: Betts, Chris [mailto:Chris.Betts@ca.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 3:42 AM
To: provision-comment@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Folks,

    apologies for the newbie question, but I'm trying to compile the spml schema with Sun's jaxb toolkit.  However, the compiler gets a number of very similar errors, starting with:

      [xjc] [ERROR] cos-nonambig: "urn:oasis:names:tc:SPML:1:0":attr and WC[##any] (or elements from their substitution group) violate "Unique Particle Attribution".
      [xjc]   line 30 of spml.xsd

    It seems to be having trouble with the fragment:

<xsd:complexType name="Attributes">
  <xsd:sequence>
   <xsd:element name="attr" type="dsml:DsmlAttr" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
   <xsd:any minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded" processContents="lax" />
  </xsd:sequence>
  <xsd:anyAttribute namespace="##other" processContents="lax" />
 </xsd:complexType>
    Now I'm fairly new at XML schema, but as I understand it the compiler is complaining that this schema fragment is ambiguous; when processing an Attributes complex type it will be unable to determine whether a sequence element is either a) a DsmlAttr or b) an 'any' object (since presumably a DsmlAttr can also be an 'any'??).  Is this an actual problem with the schema, or a limitation of my parser, and does anyone have any ideas on how I might avoid the problem?

    Thanks in advance,

        - Chris Betts

Dr Christopher Betts
CA, Melbourne, Australia