Subject: [provision] SPML Specification Elements & Requirements

I would like to propose that the committee consider making a statement on exactly what elements the SPML specification will consist of and to define some basic requirements for each element.  What I’m thinking of here, is clearly identifying the major parts of the proposed SPML specification in order that we might prioritize them and begin the real work.  We’ve anecdotally discussed this in past meetings.  I now propose we set out a clear understanding of these specification work items and begin to move things forward.

In outline I would consider the major elements of the specification to be an “SPML Core Specification Document”, an “Exchange Protocol Schema”, a set of “Operations Schema” and a “Transport Bindings Document”.  We may also need to offer a security consideration document and possibly a SAML like “profiles” document in which we clearly detail operational conventions that ensure interoperability in defined usage scenarios.  The latter are not defined here, an exercise for a later thread.

I offer the following definition of the four mail elements and request the committee review them for adoption at the next committee meeting.  If there is agreement on these elements, we need to allocate champions/editors for each and starting to construct an implementation plan and a set of working drafts.

Core Specification Document (CSD)

The SPML Core document MUST provide the normative text for the specification.  It SHOULD describe the intentions, scope, operations and use of SPML v.1.0.  The SPML CSD SHOULD define the operation model for the SPML Operations Schema (OS) such that SPML supports the dynamic discovery and specification of PSTD.  If this operational model requires additional technology (eg. sub-schema, WSDL etc.), the CSD MUST define and specify this technology.

Operational Schema (OS)

The SPML Operations Schema (OS) MUST be an XML Schema document that supports the expression of defined SPML operations.  SPML operations WILL be taken directly from the SPML Use Cases.  SPML OS SHOULD support the operational model for dynamic discovery and specification of PSTD defined in the Core Specification Document.

Exchange Protocol Schema (EPS)

The SPML “Operations Schema” (OS) is designed to be exchanged via the SPML Exchange Protocol.  The SPML (EPS) is intended to be a simple <Request> <Response> protocol schema that allows SPML compliant service points to asynchronously exchange “Operations Schema”.  A single EP Request element MAY contain several individual (OS) elements as either ordered or un-ordered lists of individual (OS) requests.  We may want to consider using separate <BatchRequest> <BatchResponse> elements when (OS) are collected together into a batch.  <BatchRequest> MUST support returning individual OS request status in corresponding ordered or un-ordered lists of individual (OS) results.

Transport Bindings Document (TBD)

The SPML Transport Bindings Document (TBD) MUST address the mapping of SPML EPS and hence OS into a defined set of existing industry standard message and/or transport protocols.  An example of such a binding would be the explicit instructions on how to load the SPML protocol into a SOAP envelope/header and how to deal with corresponding SOAP v SPML level error conditions and messages.  This document SHOULD also include recommendations for (or references to) message/transport level encryption, integrity and general security, such that interoperating parties can be assured of some degree of implicit security in the standardized exchange.

Darran Rolls
MSIM  drolls_waveset@hotmail.com
AIM    drollswaveset
YIM    drolls_waveset