regrep-comment message

Subject: Response to Max Vosob: Registering Web Services in an ebXML Registry

Hi Max,

You had posted the e-mail below on 4/7/03 to this list - I was not able
to respond because I was not yet subscribed to the list. I would like to
take an opportunity to respond now (as a co-author of this document),
and I apologize for the lateness of the reply. I would also like to say
that this document is currently under vote by the Registry TC (ballot
closes April 30), so it would not be possible to make changes at this
time.

Please see comments below marked [JMC].

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [regrep-comment] Re: Registering Web Services in an ebXML
Registry
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 07:24:17 +1200
From: "Max Voskob" <max.voskob@paradise.net.nz>
To: <regrep-comment@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hi all,

Thanx to the new changes in OASIS website all the "observing flies on
the wall" were moved to this list. I can read your main mailing list,
but I can post only here. Sorry for confusion, but anyway, here we go ;)

1.
Can you strip out some schema fragments and make the document a bit
smaller and simpler? E.g., give a schema fragment for a full example
only.

[JMC] We felt that this technique provided clarity for each individual
section that was discussed. It also helped the reader avoid flipping
back and forth between a full example and each of the sections.

2.
5.1. Versioning
What are the rules behind Major/Minor? Describe them there or reference
to a relevant place in the RIM.

[JMC] Our intention was to provide as little information as necessary in
the document to support the concepts, and to refer to the specifications
for anything that was not explained in the document. That would help us
minimize the possibility of performing double maintenance of documents
if something changed in the future.

Having said that, the majorVersion and minorVersion values are assigned
by the registry when an object is created. They each may be updated by
the registry when the object is updated. In summary, they are under
control of the registry, not the user.

The userVersion attribute, however, defines the version from the
perspective of the client and can be updated by tje client.

3.
What about classification schemes?
How does one identifies that this a web-service and what type of
service?

[JMC] Not sure what you mean here - but the classification mechanisms of
the registry can be used on the service classes just as they can on any
other registered objects.

4.
The TN is patchy. It didn't give me clear understanding what I'd achieve
following the TN.

[JMC] The objective of the Technical Note is to provide guidance on how
to implement the registration of Web services in an ebXML registry. If
you believe that the document does not achieve that objective, or should
have achieved a different objective, please let us know. Your feedback
is very important to us.
begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano