regrep-comment message

Subject: Re: Service life cycle management

Paul Teasdale wrote:

> I am trying to find out about life cycle management for compositions:
> association and aggregation (parent/child).
>
> I understand the life cycle management for association/classification
> objects.
>
> I am a little confused with Service, ServiceBinding and Specification
> relationship. I am wondering if the life cycle of Service and its
> children is only managed through Service… (cascading) or is it
> possible to manage them individually?
>
> 1- I can submit a Service and its child components (ServiceBindings)
> in a hierarchical xml format…(without the need to explicitely add all
> components in the RegistryObjectList-only the top most service)
>
> 2- Can I also submit Service and each of its sub-components as
> individual objects (like classificationNodes ) with attributes
> referring to their parents uri. If not then case closed, no need to go
> further.

You can except for the bug where SpecificationLink does not have a
parent serviceBinding attribute. We are fixing that in 2.5 due out soon.

> 3- Deleting a Service? Do we need to delete the child objects explicitly?

No deleting a parent implies deleting a child. One can delete a child
explicitly but when deleting parent this is not required.

> 4- Updating a service? Can I update its subcomponents separately?

You can update a sub-component separately except for the bug where
SpecificationLink does not have a parent serviceBinding attribute. We
are fixing that in 2.5 due out soon.

> Since I can submit a Service in a hierarchical form, can I do the same
> in a update?

Yes.

> If so, I assume that if a serviceBinding is not present under the
> Service then the binding needs to be removed?

That is correct assumption.

Thanks for your insightful questions and suggestions. They help make our
specs better.

--
Farrukh