Subject: RE: [regrep] Backward Compatibility of OASIS ebXML Registry V2.0

Farrukh

We also have had to redesign the database to accommodate RIM V2.0.
Hopefully this is the last time and future changes will be backward
compatible.  The impact on our code and the database for RIM V2.0 is
significant.

Jim Kepler

-----Original Message-----
From: Farrukh Najmi [mailto:Farrukh.Najmi@Sun.COM]
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2002 8:57 AM
To: Kyu-Chul Lee
Cc: Regrep

Dear K.C,

During the discussions on RIM 1.1 changes I had voiced a the same concern
viciforously, that we must
have backward compatibility. The team decided to make changes in RIM 1.1
that were not backward
compatible. I was later convinced that this was a good decision and that we
needed some non-backward
compatible changes.

Please note that I am also one of the people whose implementation was
effected. However, by
sacrificing backward compatibility for V2.0 we were able to do the right
things unfettered.

As a small consolation, I propose that we as a team set a goal for V3.0 to
require backward
compatibility with V2.0. Also I am willing to share implementation and
migration experience and code
with anyone who wishes to migrate from V1 to a V2 registry. Please contact
me privately if you would
like to collaborate on the migration issues.