Subject: Re: [regrep] V3 Work Item: Content Based Queries

Joe,

Please see commets inline.

"CHIUSANO, Joseph" wrote:

> Farrukh,
>
> (Sorry to post this to the main list - I'm not subscribed to the query
> list)
>
> I fully support this proposal.  Can you also please tell me if this
> would allow for registration/classification of constructs within XML
> documents/schemas/DTDs such as:
>
> - Element names
> - Attribute names
> - Named types (only apply to schemas, of course)

A Content Indexing service could classify anything within the content
including above.

> I was just with a client who mentioned their need to be able to store
> and manage these more fine-grained constructs within a registry.  They
> would like to do things like:
>
> - Register an element
> - Register one or more tags that can be used to represent that element
> in XML documents
> - Register attributes
> etc.

Registration of fine grained objects as ExtrinsicObjects is an
inefficient solution. I have been thinking to propose a work item for V3
to allow submitters to define a sub-class of RegistryObject and then
submit instances of that sub-class using SubmitObjectsRequest. The
difference is that the objects would be RegistryObjects and *NOT*
ExtrinsicObjects. This provides another dimesnion of extensibility in
RIM in addition to Slots. SLots provide extensible attribute on an
object, while User Defined Registry Objects would provide class
extensibility. More on this later.

> Additionally, they see a need to be able to query a registry for
> things like:
>
> - All occurrences in registered XML documents of a given tag

Not a problem.

> - All occurrences in registered XML documents of a given element (i.e.
> cross-reference with its associated tags)

Not a problem

> - All occurrences in registered XML documents of a given element in a
> given namespace

Not a problem