Subject: [regrep] [XML Schema issue] Replace choice with type substitution

Team,

In new V3 schema we have consistently used type substitution instead of
choice construct when defining XMl schema. Choice in the pinion of many
is not very object oriented and implementation experience has shown that
it complicates design.

I would like to ask if any one has objections if we replace occurrences
of <choice> in the schema with type substitution. Here is an example of
how teh proposal effects the schema:

Old Way
--------
In query.xsd the definition of AdhocQueryRequest looks like:

<sequence>
   <element ref = "tns:ResponseOption" minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1" />
   <choice minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1">
     <element ref = "tns:FilterQuery"/>
     <element ref = "tns:SQLQuery"/>
   </choice>
</sequence>

New Way
-------
Above Old Way would look like this under the proposal:

<sequence>
   <element ref = "tns:ResponseOption" minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1" />
   <element name="Query" type="tns:AdhocQueryType" minOccurs="1" </sequence>

Where AdhocQueryType is the base type for both SQLQueryType and
FilterQueryType.

Benefits
---------
Now code can be written using Object oriented principals so that there
is a AdhocQueryType class that is extended by SQLQueryType and
FilterQueryType classes. Either type of query may be abstractly
represented as a AdhocQueryType.

Thanks for your input on this issue.