Subject: Re: [regrep] Question

Farrukh Najmi wrote:

> Duane Nickull wrote:
>
>> I understand that we will have I have been working on a project that
>> has both English and French (or more) serialized into one Data
>> Element Metadata Object (think of a core component that has several
>> BIE's serialized in line).
>> We understand that the same object can be classified under two
>> classification schemes (or more). My issue was that an object (BIE)
>> has only one Registry Object Name (that is the name in the RIM) and
>> that name will be shown to the user in any classification schema. So,
>> if as a user I choose French and I use the French classification
>> schema to browse the registry, I expect the Registry Object Name I
>> see to be in French. Same in English. So, my question is still the
>> same: how do we accommodate bilingualism at the Registry Object Name?
>>
>> Any ideas from the experts here????
>>
> This is really quite simple.
>
> Every RegistryObject has a name and description attribute. Each
> attribute is of type InternationalString.
> An InternationalString can have multiple LocalizedString elements each
> representing the name or description in a specific charset and locale.
> So a name can be in any number of languages simultaneously.
>
> In case of the freebXML Registry implementation our Registry Browser
> allow the user to specify a preferred locale and it then shows all
> content in that Locale or the closest match to that Locale.
>
> Lastly, this locale issue has nothing to do with ClassificationSchemes
> per se. Not sure were that came into the conversation.

Some times an example is worth a thousand words.

Below is an example of an actual ExtrinsicObject in the freebXML
Registry that provides metadata for  an XACML access control policy for
another RegistryObject . Notice that the names and descriptions are in
multiple locales:

<rim:ExtrinsicObject id="urn:uuid:9ffae4d8-d98e-4eba-a1b3-9658ecf88271"
objectType="urn:uuid:7c50351e-0022-4a65-950c-ac8cda6f3e0b">
  <rim:Name>
    <rim:LocalizedString xml:lang="en-US" value="customACP1.xml"/>
    <rim:LocalizedString xml:lang="fi-FI" value="customACP1.xml"/>
    <rim:LocalizedString xml:lang="pt-BR" value="customACP1.xml"/>
  </rim:Name>
  <rim:Description>
    <rim:LocalizedString xml:lang="en-US" value="A sample custom ACP"/>
    <rim:LocalizedString xml:lang="fi-FI" value="Esimerkki custom ACP"/>
    <rim:LocalizedString xml:lang="pt-BR" value="Exemplo the Custom ACP"/>
  </rim:Description>
</rim:ExtrinsicObject>

Hopefully this helps clarify the verbage in the previous message.

| Going to XML 2003, Dec 8-12, Philadelphia PA?                          |
| Come see a very cool presentation and demo:                            |
|   "Epidemic Management Using OASIS ebXML, UBL and XACML Standards      |
| When: Wednesday, December 10 / 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM                       |
| Details at:                                                            |
|   http://www.xmlconference.org/xmlusa/2003/interopdemos_oasis.asp#4    |