Subject: [Topic Maps vs. RDF][Fwd: [egov] Re: [huml] The Office of Justice Programs's (OJP) Justice XML Data Dictionay]

Subject: [egov] Re: [huml] The Office of Justice Programs's (OJP)
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 21:40:18 -0400
From: David RR Webber - XML ebusiness <Gnosis_@compuserve.com>
To: Rex Brooks <rexb@starbourne.com>
CC: courtfiling-doc@lists.oasis-open.org,"'egov@lists.oasis-open.org'"
<egov@lists.oasis-open.org>,"'huml@lists.oasis-open.org'"
<huml@lists.oasis-open.org>,"'emergency@lists.oasis-open.org'"
<emergency@lists.oasis-open.org>,"'legalxml-intercept@lists.oasis-open.org'"
<legalxml-intercept@lists.oasis-open.org>,"'legalxml-intjustice@lists.oasis-open.org'"
<legalxml-intjustice@lists.oasis-open.org>,"'xcbf@lists.oasis-open.org'"
<xcbf@lists.oasis-open.org>,"Aerts, John F." <jfaerts@lasd.org>

Rex,

Yikes!  No that was not the conclusion I was reaching!

For eBusiness integration RDF is not the right tool.  It's
more at home supporting topic maps in document
management systems and networks of conceptual
linkages and associations.

For eBusiness metadata - the OASIS Registry team is
developing a CCTS representation in XML for storage
of nouns and aggregates in the Registry.

This will allow the content in the spreadsheet example to
be populated as XML in the registry, and then used in
assembly components such as CAM or a vendor mapper.

XML schemata have limited use in collecting ebusiness
interchange specifications - they can determine structural
choices for collections of information - but are weak at
enabling context driven business rules that track dependencies
and legally binding validations of content.

Cheers, DW.
Message text written by Rex Brooks

Now that I have looked at it, it makes very good sense, so it is
logical that it would have been adopted previously. The fact that I
had not run across it shows that I do not come from background that
would have exposed me to the practice. However now that I have seen
it in practice, I believe that it would make a good addition, perhaps
a best practice for xml-based standards to provide an rdf schemata to
accompany xml schemata as a more complete specification
package--making related resources immediately available to developers.

Ciao,
Rex
<