Subject: Re: [regrep] Issue with UUID's for Core Components and BIE's

Carl Mattocks wrote:

><quote who="Chiusano Joseph">
>

>>Duane Nickull wrote:
>>

>>>Apologize for the cross post in advance, but I feel both of these groups
>>>need to address this issue.
>>>
>>>The Core Components and Registry specs both mandate a unique identifier
>>>to be used in certain places.  IN the registry, it is for every single
>>>registry object.  Each Core Component also must have an identifier.
>>>There were some questions however that do need further discussion IMO.
>>>
>>>1. Should a BIE carry the same UUID as the Core Component it was derived
>>>from?
>>>

>>IMHO, no. They are 2 distinct entities.
>>

>Agreed
>

>>>2. Either in addition to, or alternatively to #1, should a BIE carry
>>>its' own unique UUID?  If it is placed into a registry, the UUID will
>>>

>>Yes - and we may want to explore the possibility of a BIE's UUID being
>>somehow related to its "base" Core Component's UUID - perhaps by
>>reflecting a part of the Core Component's UUID within the BIE's UUID
>>somehow. But on the other hand this might be too heavyweight...
>>

>imho this is too cumbersome

The obvious way to do this association between the BIE and the CC is to
use, well, an Association instance ;-)
And yes, the Association instance uses UUIDs to reference the BIE and CC.

>>>the COre COmponents UUID, should this UUID be in the 128 bit algorithm
>>>format OR should it use something akin to the UDEF format that can
>>>convey context variables?  This may be crucial to aid business mappers
>>>and integration software (rich client applications) to map the BIE to
>>>existing data sources.
>>>

> 3. If the BIE does have to have it's own UUID, possibly in addition to
>

>agreed on URN + UUID . Additional (extrinsic ?) identifiers can be added
>as required.

Please see the latest Versioning proposal posted after Nikola and I
worked on the last one. The Logical ID (LID) addresses the
need for a human friendly ID. Check it out at:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/regrep/download.php/6326/VersionControlProposal-03.doc