Subject: RE: [regrep] FW: IECM Standards Proposal

Yes - there is know way you could have known the association without
further context. The association I made is regarding the poster (Owen
Ambur) and registries, given that Owen is a strong proponent of the
value of registries within the federal government.

> >>...In particular, I believe
> >> the time is ripe for specification of a core set of XML metadata
> >>elements to facilitate the discovery and management of
> >>documents/records/content on the Web.
>
> Furthermore, isn't the work proposed in this quote competing
> with other efforts such as Dublin Core?

Possibly - but since Dublin Core is not specific to Web content, but
rather incorporates Web aspects such as "URIs as identifiers", I wonder
if Owen's reference was more Web-centric.

> It also seems to
> ignore the fact that the Semantic Web is a framework designed
> to support exactly discovery and management of web content
> based on XML metadata (in RDF/XML form).  For the SW, the
> proposed core set of metadata elements are just another
> vocabulary that can be used for this.

Given that Owen is well-versed on Semantic Web concepts, I believe he
was speaking more generally concept-wise, without referring to specific
frameworks/formalisms.

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz Allen Hamilton
Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World