Subject: Re: cross references

There's another problem with our current syntax.  Suppose I have

<data type="token" key="ns1:foo" keyRef="ns2:baz"/>

There's no way to transform the QNames into ns attributes, as can be done
with all other uses of QNames.  This is a problem both because it is
undesirable to force the use of QNames, and because it complicates the
specification of the language: it is much nicer if one can get rid of
QNames as part of the transformation into the simple core language, so that
they don't show up in the inference rules for the semantics. (A simple
solution to this problem would be to disallow key and keyRef both occurring
on a single <data> element.)

One possibility for solving the problem raised by Franck would be to use

<key name="xxx">
  <data type="foo"/>
</key>

instead of

  <data type="foo" key="xxx"/>

Similarly add <keyRef>.

The problem then is to specify how <key> determines what base data type to
use for comparing keys for equality.  We could do something like this:

E; ns |- {}; s =~ p => {}; {}    hasDatatype(E, p, u1, ln1)
E; ns |- {}; s =~ <key name="ln2" ns="u2">p</key>
  => key(u2, ln2, u1, ln1, s, ns); {}

(similarly for keyRef)

hasDatatype(E, <data type="ln" datatypeLibrary="u">params</data>, u, ln)

hasDatatype(E, <value type="ln" datatypeLibrary="u">s</value>, u, ln)

         hasDatatype(E, p1, u, ln)
hasDatatype(E, <choice>p1 p2</choice>, u, ln)

         hasDatatype(E, p2, u, ln)
hasDatatype(E, <choice>p1 p2</choice>, u, ln)

etc

Then introduce appropriate restrictions on the content of <key> and
<keyRef> to ensure that the base datatype is unambiguous. In the normalized
form, the content of key and keyRef should probably be just a choice of
<data> and <value>.

I think this is probably a good thing, although I'm concerned that it
complicates the spec. If we do this, I would argue for not allowing any of:

- a <key> inside a <key>
- a <key> inside a <keyRef>
- a <keyRef> inside a <keyRef>
- a <keyRef> inside a <key>

because this makes things even more complicated.