Subject: [relax-ng] Minutes for RELAX NG TC Telcon 2002-06-06

Minutes for a RELAX NG technical committee teleconference held 6 June 2002 at 9:00 AM EDT (UTC -04:00)

Attending

James
John
Josh
Kohsuke
Makoto (joined later)
Mike
Norm

Not Attending

David

Agenda

1. Compact syntax draft

John found an ambiguity when trying to implement an XLink schema dealing with except syntax (-). James agreed to fix.

With regard to local namespace declaration

John: I think generating an prefix is the only reasonable way to handle it
James: I've tried several ways to do it. Nothing was satisfactory. It doesn't seem worth it.

Closes this issue with no action, that is, we will not provide a local default namespace declaration.

2. Shall we predeclare the xsd datatype library?

James: We discussed in an earlier telecon but we didn't have a quorum. How do people feel?
All: [ok with it]
John: What if they want to declare xsd: for something else?
James: We could do it like xml: where it's okay to declare again correctly but not incorrectly.
John: We could allow it and generate a warning...
Mike: Just let them use xs:...
John: [not conventional xs: is used for structure, xsd: for datatypes]
Mike: I missed that [doh]
James: I am marginally in favor of generating an error if you try to use xsd: for something other than http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes
John: An error to declare same prefix twice?
James: Even if for the same namespace
John: Jing's -c option...always compact syntax?

Voted in favor of predeclaring xsd as the prefix for XML Schema datatypes (http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes)

3. Back to draft spec

James: Do we want to issue this a committee spec? I don't think we are quite ready...
Norm: Let's keep it as working draft for now
John: I thought it was an editor's draft
Mike: Norm, it's that what you meant?
Norm: Yes, at OASIS, specs are in three forms: pre-committee, committee, and standard
Mike: I think we need more input...we should get Makoto's input
James: We are not ready to vote this week. Let's pick it up in a few weeks.

4. Errata

(a) ref and parentRef in RELAX NG schema for RELAX NG incorrectly disallow foreign elements

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/relax-ng/200205/msg00042.html

<aside>
 John: I think externalRef and parent are inconsistent
 James: [explained his logic] I'll mull it a bit...I take your point
</aside>

Will add <ref name="other"/> to RELAX NG schema for RELAX NG

(b) HTML well-formedness error (multiple <html> elements)

Discussed whether we add to errata or just fix the error. It has no effect on document content.

Norm: I'm comfortable with this
Mike: I think we ought to have some disclosure [rather than just secretly doing it]
Norm: Yes we ought to just fix it and post a note about it
James: Agree
John: We ought to have a rule to validate all committee documents

(c) "a choice" in 4.14 and 4.15 is untranslatable into Japanese

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/relax-ng/200206/msg00007.html

Agreed

(d) in 4.6 and 4.6 two occurrences of "attribute" should be "element"

Agreed

[Any other business?]