rights-requirements message

Subject: Re: [rights-requirements] RE: [Fwd: Core vs. Non-Core]

At 03:28 PM 8/27/2002 -0400, Reddy, Hari wrote:

From Patrick:
It appears to me (and this may be obvious to everyone else)  that Hari's
parsing of the requirements into core vs. domain reflect an a priori
acceptance of XrML 2.1 as it stands now. Is that a correct reading?

Hari:
The charter states (http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/rights/#charter):
2. Use XrML as the basis in defining the industry standard rights language in order to maximize continuity with ongoing standards efforts.

At the initial meeting of the TC in May, we discussed this explicitly and voted to change "THE" in the charter document to "A" to reflect the fact that we expected other submissions to the requirements process.  I've cut and pasted from the meeting minutes:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/rights/documents/rltc/minutes/RLTC%20Minutes%2020020521.doc

Content Guard submitted XrML 2.1 to serves as a starting point for the work of the TC.

Vote was held to accept the submission from ContentGuard:
11 Yeas
1 Abstention
2 Phone votes unknown

This may seem like a trivial distinction, especially to the folks from Content Guard, but to me it was fundamental.  Many of us would probably not have joined the TC if we were from the outset endorsing every part of the XrML specification as it stood on May 21 by saying that it was THE BASIS.  We are here because we view it as A BASIS -- an important part of the requirements for a new OASIS rights expression language, but the reason we are having a requirements process is to ensure that we collect a broader set of inputs.  We are doing that now and we will build a better specification because of the contributions from Patrick Durusau's organization, the IEEE, the Samuelson Clinic at Berkeley, the EFF and so on.   If we accept unquestionably every aspect of the XrML specification, then it is impossible to say that this effort will lead to an OPEN standard.

Let's just let the requirements process continue. We are making progress.  Let's not try to assume its outcome in advance.

-bob glushko