Subject: Re: [rights] Sony's DRM initiative

At 01:24 PM 8/11/2002 -0700, Krishna Sankar wrote:
http://www.sony.co.jp/en/SonyInfo/News/Press/200208/02-035E/

Is this of interest ? Do we have use cases from this ?

cheers

Since Sony recently joined our OASIS TC this announcement certainly raises lots of issues for us to deal with, especially those relating to the scope of the Stefik patents on which Content Guard relies.

How can Sony say in this announcement:

 Sony believes in "OpenMG X" as an open platform technology that should support the secure distribution of content,

if the Stefik patents cover all rights languages? I think we are wasting our time here if we continue to act as if we can develop a technical spec without resolving the clear conflicts about patents here.   At a minimum I want to understand what Sony means by "open platform."

bob

--
Robert J. Glushko, Ph.D.
School of Information Management & Systems