Subject: Re: [rights] rushing the spec out: two questions

Title: RE: [rights] rushing the spec out: two questions
Hari,

Reddy, Hari wrote:
D2BB9D7307EC6F40A32488899B668F3A1CF368@mail2.contentguard.com">

Hi Bob:

"I thought of this when I heard today how badly we need to "take what we have and get it out there" (please correct me if I'm misquoting) because what we have is XrML 2.1, a ContentGuard product."

I think that what was being discussed was the Requirements analysis and not the specification. The discussion was around the great deal of work that has been done in the requirements SC and that the requirements team should produce its output for review. The requirements process will continue to process emerging requirements but this, as was stated in the meeting, should not hinder the publication of the work to date.

A great deal of work remains to be done by the Requirements SC, particularly in terms of documenting a rights model against which requirements can be assessed either by the Requirements SC or the Rights TC. At this point, there is no rights model set forth in any document of the TC or SC (note I am excluding privately authored documents with an implicit rights model in such documents) that would allow any judgment to be made about the appropriateness of any requirement for a rights expression language.

It seems to me that some model of the rights that are to be expressed is a necessity before deciding on a language to express such rights. And I find the argument that no one has objected to date to the lack of such a model as insufficient reason to simply proceed. Personally I think the group as a whole deserves an answer to Bob's question about "what's the rush?" (And I think that answer needs to be more than defensive statements about time spent on the phone or in drafting analysis that is unsupported by any specified model.)

To properly serve all the software vendors who will produce software based on such a standard, and the content producers and end users who will use the results of the standard and implementations, we should take the time required to do it right. Is there some other goal to be served by this process other than benefiting those three classes of people affected by this standard?

A lot of work has been done to date and I by no means want to make light of the effort expended to date. But by comparison to major standards of similar reach, SGML for example, this activity is merely warming up for the task of writing a truly useful standard. That will take as long as it takes and a good standard, cannot be driven by short-sighted goals or temporary advantages.

Patrick
D2BB9D7307EC6F40A32488899B668F3A1CF368@mail2.contentguard.com">

Regards,
Hari