saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [saml-dev] Is a separate "ArtifactReceiver" required?

The problem you are trying to solve is different from the use case for which the Browser/Artifact profile was designed.  There are 2 possible solutions:

1.    Wait for a Liberty-enabled product. Liberty handles this use case directly.  When you go directly to the mail provider site but haven't authenticated there, Liberty defines how to send you back to a portal (Identity Provider in Liberty-speak) to initiate the web SSO process.

2.    Use a slight variation of the B/A Profile described by SAML. In this scenario, the mail provider has 2 available links, one for the normal mail application and a second for the standard B/A Profile Artifact Receiver. The processing would look like:

a.    The user logs in to the portal and clicks the "check my inbox" link

b.    They are redirected to the mail provider's mail application with NO URL arguments (e.g. http://mail.com/inbox.jsp)

c.    Access to the mail application would be controlled by the presence of a local authentication cookie or something similar.  On the first visit, there won't be one, so the mail provider site would detect this and redirect the user back to the portal's ISX service using a URL exactly as the ISX expects.  The URL might look something like https://portal.com/isx?TARGET=http://mail.com/inbox.jsp

d.    The portal's ISX would create an artifact and redirect the user back to the mail provider's artifact receiver as defined in the B/A Profile (e.g. https://mail.com/artifactreceiver.jsp?TARGET=http://mail.com/inbox.jsp&SAMLart=1234567890abcdefg

e.    The artifact receiver at the mail provider requests the assertion from the portal over the SOAP Binding as defined by the B/A profile, uses the assertion to locally authenticate the user (creating a cookie), and then redirects the user to the TARGET URL (i.e. the original mail application inbox)

f.    After this point if the user clicks on the "check my inbox" link at the portal, they get sent directly to the inbox application and are allowed access since they are authenticated.

g.    Note that if the mail provider needs to support connections from multiple portals, the link from the portal to the mail provider's inbox application could also pass along a URL parameter telling the mail provider which portal to send the user back to for an artifact if they aren't already authenticated.  But that's something you'd have to define for yourself.

Make sense?

Rob Philpott

RSA Security Inc.

The Most Trusted Name in e-Security