Subject: FW: [sarif] Asking for output of analysis tools that produce code paths

From: Larry Golding (Comcast) [mailto:larrygolding@comcast.net]
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2018 3:48 PM
To: 'James A. Kupsch' <kupsch@cs.wisc.edu>; mikefan@microsoft.com
Cc: 'Vamshi Basupalli' <vamshi@cs.wisc.edu>

Thanks Jim, that's very helpful! I uploaded your samples to the directory Tool Samples/SWAMP Tools in the repo and provided a README.md. Here are my takeaways from studying them:

1. cppcheck

The code paths in the cppcheck sample (lighttpd-1.4.45---ubuntu-16.04-64---cppcheck\results\assessment_report15.xml, line 4) are very simple. Only one of them (the first one, the “redundant assignment” error) has more than one location in the path.

2. clang

In the clang sample, I’ll need your help interpreting the contents of the .plist file. Those nested dict/key/array/dict/key… elements exceed my complexity limit 😊

I do see that the “previous event, next event” links in the HTML file can be synthesized from the information in the .plist file. But there are some strings in the HTML file (for example, “Within the expansion of the macro 'CONST_BUF_LEN'”) that don’t appear in the .plist file at all. Is the idea that you can tell clang to emit one format or the other, but it does not offer a single output format that is both as easy to parse as the .plist and as comprehensive as the HTML?

After all that, I don’t see anything in either format that SARIF is missing, except possibly the extended_message in the .plist file. But I might find I’m mistaken when you guide me through the .plist format in more detail.

3. findbugs, spotbugs

I’ll also appreciate your help interpreting this XML format. I assume that the BugInstance element is the equivalent of the SARIF result. BugInstance contains a sequence of Class, Method, and SourceLine elements, some of which contain nested elements, for example:

BugInstance

 Class

    SourceLine

      Message

  Method

    SourceLine

    Message

  SourceLine

    Message

I assume each of the top-level elements specifies a location along the code path, but I’m not sure what it means for some SourceLine elements to be nested in Method elements, and others not.

Thanks again, Jim. I look forward to exploring this further during our meeting. The agenda has time specifically set aside to discuss codeFlows.