Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] [Issue 80] Proposed directional resolution

Martin Chapman wrote:
> With a strict chair hat on, we really need to look at the broader
> schedule here.
>
> In order to progress to Committee Specification we need  at least two
> implementations passing the tests and showing some kind of interop.
>
> As a Chair I have no idea when two implementations will surface to meet
> this criteria.
>

> If they surface soon I share the schedule concerns expressed by others.
>
> If two implementations are not on the near horizon, then I see no
> problem in discussing resolutions to issue-80.

Let's say the specs are complete at time T.  Two implementations will
be available at time T+n, where n depends on the amount of function in
the specs and the maturity/stability of that function (i.e., whether
implementers have been able to use previous spec drafts to get a
head start on their implementations).

If we take the current 1.1 drafts forward without adding events,
I think n will be quite small because the function in the current drafts
is now mature and has been largely stable for a while.

If we add a large new chunk of functionality now, it will push out T.
It will also increase n, because implementers will have had less time
to absorb/prototype/start developing the new functionality.  So not
only will the spec completion date be delayed, but there will also
be a longer gap (after that later date) before two compliant and
interoperable implementations become available.

   Simon