Subject: [NEW ISSUE] SCA Java Specifications do not Adequately Define theComponentType of a Java implementation

Raiser:  Mike Edwards

Target: Java C&I sca-javaci-draft-20070926.pdf

(is this a first for this spec??)

<Note: I believe that a description of componentType belongs strictly with the component implementation specifications
and would be different (say) for Spring, EJBs (JEE) and POJOs - so I've raised this against the Java POJO spec...
we may need to do the same for the other specs>

The component type of a Java Component Implementation is not described adequately.

In particular, there is no rigorous set of (compliance testable) rules that relate the content of a Java POJO implementation
class to its (implied, derived) component type.

There are some examples in lines 71-78,  97-105, and 120-130.  But there are no definitive or normative statements.

There are no statements in Sections 3 and 4 relating to References and Properties in component types.

Section 8 has some rules about deriving component type for an unannotated Java class - but:
- it only covers references and properties.  Services are (confusingly) discussed elsewhere.
- it is not clear whether "unannotated" means "absolutely no @Reference or @Property annotations " or "parts of a class that are not annotated"
(ie if there is at least one @Reference or @Property annotation on a class, does that mean that it is treated as "annotated" and there is no
search for anything not annotated - or does a search for unannotated entities still take place?)
- it does not lay down rules for the generation of component type information from the discovered unannotated features of the class

Proposal:

1) Add a new section to the specification with the title "The Component Type of a Java Component Implementation"

- this section will provide normative detail on the component type of a Java component

2) Clarify the contents of Section 8

a) Make it clear that any @Reference or @Property annotation in a Java class means that the whole class is regarded as "annotated" and that
only annotated features of the class contribute to the component type.  Only classes with no @Reference or @Property annotations
are treated according to the rules of "unannotated implementation"

b) Add in the material about unannotated services here.

b) Upgrade the description of the rules for an unanotated implementation to be explicit about the component type elements
that correspond to the various features of the class.

Here is a marked up version of the Java C&I specification that attempts to make this proposal concrete:

Yours,  Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com

Unless stated otherwise above:

sca-javaci-draft-20070926_IssueXX.doc