Subject: Re: [sca-policy] Proposed updates to the TA document - another pass....

Dave,

are we having fun yet ??

Yours,  Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com

From: David Booz <booz@us.ibm.com>
To: sca-policy@lists.oasis-open.org
Date: 14/07/2009 19:18

Hi Mike,

1) POL-TA-30007: POL30007 mentions intents satisfied by policySets and bindingTypes which is why I added words to that effect. Can you help me understand why you removed my changes?

<mje>
Here is POL30007 straight from the PR version of the spec:
"If a profile intent is attached to an artifact, all the intents listed in its @requires attribute MUST be satisfied as described in section 4.12. [POL30007]"
Where does it talk about policySets and bindingTypes?
"satisfied" is understood as a term explained by 4.12 (logically this should be a reference to another TA which deals with the
normative aspects of "satisfied") - but I think a test writer can make sense of the TA as I've written it.
</mje>

2) POL-TA-40025: you made a comment but I didn't understand the question. POL40016 is talking about how policySets and intents from interfaces and interface elements play into the rules of where they are applied. POL40016 is not talking about policySets and intents which are attached directly to the reference.

<mje>
My cryptic comment was asking whether a policySet applied to the <reference/> element overrides any policySet
attached to the <interface/> element or to the interface document.  In other cases of this kind, policySets ARE
overridable.  This is really a spec question, not a TA question.
</mje>

3) POL-TA-40024 and POL-TA-40025: I changed the target to composite or component service (and reference respectively), you removed the composite. Why? I don't see anything in POL40016 that restricts the statement to component services and references.

<mje>
I reasoned it like this - only component services actually get exposed in a way that is directly testable.
The way that a composite service affects things is by its effect on the componentType of the implementation.composite,
which in turn affects the behaviour of the component service using that composite.  I believe that there are other
places that deal with the link from the composite service to the componentType and so there is no need to state
anything here about composite services (ditto for references), since there is no conceivable testcase that ain't
better done elsewhere.
</mje>

4) Thanks for adding the TAs for POL40019, but I'm finding the words to be hard to parse. Could we re-word the first pre-req: a) <component/> has an <implementation/> which exposes a <service/> that has an <interface/> attached to it. Same comment (with adjustments for reference) on the other TA for POL40019.

<mje>
I'm OK with rewording this - my English is nothing to write home about (said as a true Welshman  ;-) )
However, your words here miss one important item - "corresponding <service/>" - which can also  be expressed as the
</mje>

5) POL-TA-80001: you made a comment, are you referring to the whole (b) prereq or just the end of it?
<mje>
It's a comment about b) - and it applies to POL-TA-80002 as well.  I don't think it matters whether there is a failure of comms or not.
Under *any* circumstances, "at least one", "at most one", "only one" message must be delivered.
Of course, trying to create a circumstance where the wrong number of deliveries will have a chance of occurring is going to tax
the testcase writer in the extreme - maybe we need to have a little chat with our messaging buddies to find out how they go about
building tests for this kind of situation  ;-)
</mje>

General comment: much of what you've done seems stylistic/editorial in nature where there are a number of different ways to word these things. I don't feel strongly about any particular style of expressing these TAs, so I'm fine with your changes, with the exceptions noted above.
My general approach has been to lay out the TAs in a way that naturally leads into the testcases - "you're concerned with an X with characteristics Y - and these other things Z need to be set up ahead of time - and if so, the following M must be true".  The more concrete they are, the better.

Dave Booz
STSM, BPM and SCA Architecture
Poughkeepsie, NY (845)-435-6093 or 8-295-6093
e-mail:booz@us.ibm.com

Inactive hide details for Mike Edwards ---07/13/2009 10:43:20 AM---Dave, You inspired me.  Here is my pass over your version ofMike Edwards ---07/13/2009 10:43:20 AM---Dave, You inspired me. Here is my pass over your version of the document, fully

Mike Edwards <mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com>

sca-policy@lists.oasis-open.org

07/13/2009 10:43 AM

Re: [sca-policy] Proposed updates to the TA document - another pass....

Dave,

You inspired me. Here is my pass over your version of the document, fully change marked...