security-jc message

Subject: RE: [security-jc] TAB concerns about Security JC charter

Title: RE: [security-jc] TAB concerns about Security JC charter

I largely agree with Darren.

I think the issue turns on the meaning of the word "deliverable" which is not currently defined by OASIS. I don't think anyone on the SJC has any problem with the part of the TC process that says "A TC shall have no obligation to abide by any decision arrived at in a JC to which it contributes membership."

When we were developing our charter, I assumed "deliverable" meant "candidate to become a Committee Specification or OASIS Standard". It seems to me that in its role of coordination, it is perfectly reasomable for the JC to produce documents. The opposite position, that the JC may commit nothing to writing seems absurd to me.

If the JC choses to collect or create information for the reference of its constituent TCs and/or the OASIS community at large, this seems to me to fall well within the role of coordinating. As long as we do not mandate anything, I don't see the problem.

Otherwise, it seems to me that the JC becomes a sort of debating society whose work can not be reused or even easily located, except by reviewing all the meeting minutes.

I view this concern  as overly technical and not in the spirit of what I understand the role of a JC to be.

Hal