Subject: RE: composition of AssertionID (Issue: DS-4-04: URIs for Assertio nIDs)

At 02:09 PM 6/8/01 -0400, Hal Lockhart wrote:
>I assume you mean retrieving an assertion by dereferencing the URI.

Yes.

>We certainly want to be able to request "the assertion with the ID of X"
>whether or not X is a URI. That's what started this discussion.

If X looks like a URI (particularly an http-scheme one), people *will* try
to dereference it.  Cf. XML namespaces.  So if we intend it *not* to be an
"address" as well as an "identifier," we should not use URIs for it.

         Eve
--
Eve Maler                                             +1 781 442 3190
Sun Microsystems XML Technology Development  eve.maler @ east.sun.com