smartgrid-discuss message

Subject: Re: [smartgrid-discuss] more thoughts

As I am somewhat new to this list - and to this sector - I am a
little in the dark about how things are today and how things are
being designed for the future.  I trust the forum will be patient
with some of my questions in the short-term.

Since the smart grid forum is discussing potential new standards
for messages, and since so much of our economy is based on the use
of computers and networks, is there an articulation of the security
goals for this bold future (other than "it must be secure") when
its business will be conducted using computers & networks?

I am specifically interested in business-level requirements for
securing messages between players in this industry for:

1) Message Authenticity;
2) Message Integrity; and
3) Data Confidentiality.

I'm not specifically interested in these attributes when messages
are traversing the networks, but when they are in a database of
a 24/7 application on servers, or when they're on a flash-based
EEPROM of some "smart-meter" where the homeowner or business-owner
has pre-configured rules for demand reduction.  How will these
"messages" be protected from attack and being compromised at the
source and destination?

Do such requirements exist somewhere, where one can read them and
come upto speed?

Thanks.

Arshad Noor
StrongAuth, Inc.