smartgrid-discuss message

Subject: RE: [smartgrid-discuss] more thoughts (2 parts)

There are a variety of organizations specifically looking at security requirements in this domain.  One of the most comprehensive to date are what the AMI-SEC guys are doing in the UCA.  You might want to take a look at what they have produced.

Open Smart Grid - Open SG > UtiliSEC Working Group > AMI-SEC > Shared Documents > 1. System Security Requirements

which can be found at this link.

http://osgug.ucaiug.org/utilisec/amisec/Shared%20Documents/Forms/AllItems.aspx?RootFolder=%2futilisec%2famisec%2fShared%20Documents%2f1%2e%20System%20Security%20Requirements

-ed koch

From: David RR Webber (XML) [mailto:david@drrw.info]
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:04 PM
To: Arshad Noor
Cc: smartgrid-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org

Arshad,

I believe that is why we are here - to determine the requirements, scope and goals - otherwise we'd be finished before we started?!

That is why I asked if you thought that ensuring simplicity is a priority goal - and that the approach I mentioned (which actually is how most networking systems are architected) would be acceptable.

We also have to decide how much wheel inventing is really needed here.  Once we are clear on scope - we may not care about networking communications details - because those are already being defined elsewhere and we can simply decide to publish set of communication implementation profiles that can be done using a selection of those existing standards.

Thanks, DW