Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Registries and Repositories

I wasn't thinking of a repository for service
code/versions/history as a global database to the
entire community, but if combined with a global
registry that is where that would lead.  One analyst
firm associated the SOA repository to Governance by
essentially stating that configuration management of
the service code is a part of governing the SOA.  The
way the SOA repository was presented,  this form of
SOA repository was closely related to the registry.
For the open source world, this might make some sense.
 I wanted to see what others had to say about the
subject.

I associate Service Description meta-data with the
registry and meta-data data with a repository.  The
registry can also contain an orchestrated Information
Model, the Information Model in this sense being
meta-data that is a collection of facts in a specific
context (orchestration) from which conclusions can be
drawn.  The Service Description itself has an
Information Model, the Service Description Information
Model can be a part of bigger picture Information
Model.  I think Duane's slides were similar in nature
to this concept.

In my mind, the importance of a SOA repository
associated with service source code is minor compared
to the importance of the role of Service
Description/Information Model and the SOA
registry/repository.

Danny

=== message truncated ===