Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Cogitating Descriptions for Reference Architecture and System

I was having similar thoughts about the use of "design
template" so I'm glad you suggested alternative
wording.  So the suggestion is

A reference architecture is an abstraction of the
fundamental organization of a domain of systems,
embodied in their services and components, their
relationships to each other and the environment, and
the principles governing their design and evolution.

Domain of systems could equate to SOA ecosystem.  If
services and components are used in the sentence, then
a qualification for SOA would have to be added which I
think would cause the sentence to loose some of its
impact.  I would leave evolution off the sentence
since evolution (future tense) is a potentially
unknown series of future events.

The following is a stab at combining the two suggested
descriptions of a reference architecture:

A reference architecture is an abstraction of the
fundamental organization of mechanisms and
relationships and the principles governing their
design for the purpose of realizing a predetermined
set of goals and requirements.

Danny

--- Wayne P O'Brien <wayne_p_obrien@raytheon.com>