Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Cogitating Descriptions for Reference Architecture and System

Colleagues,

Couple of points:

1) Suggest we do not attempt re-define the nomenclature specified by the
ANSI/IEEE 1471 Std.  Our objective is to adopt to concept of architectural
descriptions (ADs) and use of views and viewpoints to describe our Reference
Architecture, not to recast the Std into something else.

2) I would like to offer the following opening sentence for the What is a
Reference Architecture section (Section 1.1):

"A reference architecture models the abstract architectural elements in the
domain independent of the technologies, protocols, and products that are
used to implement the domain."

Our entire industry doesn't have a good industry-standard definition for
"reference architecture" and it is one of the most misused terms in use
today.  The definition offered above, while deviating from the lexicon
provided in the SOA-RM, is consistent with the sentence that follows, which
defines the essence of a reference model and I believe more closely captures
the spirit of the spec we are writing---which is indeed about architectural
models my friends!

Cheers...

 - Jeff E., JPL