Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Groups - Rough notes taken during the last ebSOA meeting. (ebSOA-Elements.pdf) uploaded

It seems to me that service architectures should not be confused with
message oriented architecture. That is confusing the messenger with the
message :)

I would suggest that the essence of service is task delegation: I offer
you a service means I offer to perform a task for you.

Is that passing the semantic buck? No, because a task can be further
broken down to an action and an effect: the effect of performing the
action is often also the reason for invoking the service.

In a public environment, the actions performed by service providers are
inherently *private*; but the effect is inherently *public*.

Can you realize such a model using messages? Absolutely. One of the
interesting constraints that comes out of the Web services area is the
document-centric processing model. It seems not to be core/essential to
the concept of services; but does seem to facilitate scalability and
service composition. We might wish to go so far as to state that all
good SOAs are based on a document-centric model.

Can you realize services in C/C++? Absolutely, although you might loose
some of the nice scalability properties of specs like SOAP.

An aside: I explain the DCM (document centric model) to my bosses in
terms of old-fashioned purchase orders sent by snail mail: the letter
coming in to the office has to have everything needed to specify the
order. On the other hand, the letter is also a token that may be passed
between the different departments: the credit department might mark the
order letter as being OK from a customer credit PoV, and the warehouse
might mark it as being problematic because inventory for a particular
item is low, etc. By the time the order is shipped, that original order
letter may have become a folder and be full of pencil marks.

Frank