Subject: Re: [soa-rm] concept maps

At this point, we are using CM for description and have no a priori
desire for inference.  Yes, tweaking with a little RDF would give you
some basic capability there too, but we don't yet need a full logic
language.

Ken

On Dec 8, 2005, at 6:01 PM, Frank McCabe wrote:

> Been doing some research on the net about concept maps.
>
> It seems that concept maps are nearly always used in an educational
> context. It may even be that we have been pioneering the use of
> concept maps as a modeling tool :)
>
> There is a close semantic similarity between RDF and concept maps. It
> would not be a great stretch to use RDF as the semantics of concept
> maps. RDF does have a semantics now that
>
> The reason for picking this approach is that basing a semantics of CM
> on KIF or CL pushes you in a direction that is not especially helpful.
> (I.e., you start wanting to add in the extra features you get in a
> logic language; but in fact most CMs are assertional in nature.)
>
> So, the technical route is there. I wonder if the political will is
> too?
>
> Frank

Ken Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305     phone:  703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                        fax:        703-983-1379