tag message

Subject: RE: [tag] TAML Conformance Rewording

I tend to agree with Stephen:
Your comments Dennis can - I believe - be considered as procedural +
consistency, but "non substantial" in terms of affecting the content and
can be dealt with after the PR without entailing a new PR period.

These points are well taken though, and I let Stephen decide of how much
can go in the final candidate that I need to reference when initiating
the ballot end of week.

I think the conf clause for the markup is still the most important that
needs fixing prior to PR.

Regards,
Jacques

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis E. Hamilton [mailto:dennis.hamilton@acm.org]
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 1:52 PM
To: stephen.green@documentengineeringservices.com; Jacques R. Durand
Cc: TAG TC List

I wanted to be thorough about this, so it took longer than I first
expected.

Here is a systematic restatement of the conformance section, with
supporting alignment in other sections.  I looked this over very
carefully and propose some tightening at the same time:

I have done the following:

 1. Expanded 1.1 with of the ways terms are used in accordance with
Annex H of ISO/IEC Directives.

 2. Added [TAML-schema] to the Normative Reference section (so the URL
is in one place near the front)

 3. Touched up 2.1 with regard to a contradictory statement covered by
the Conformance section already.

 4. Removed redundant assertions from section 2.2 concerning the
authoritative schema and what an XML Schema validity assessment might
take into account.

 5. Added two subsections to Section 3 on XML Schema to establish the
difference between the authoritative schema and the informative version
at that place.

 6. Restated the Conformance section on the lines I proposed yesterday.

 - Dennis

CHANGES

A. In Section 1.1, Terminology

Replace the single sentence with

"""
Within this specification, the verbal forms "shall", "shall not",
"should", "should not", "may", "need not", "can" and "cannot" in bold
letters are to be interpreted as expressing normative provisions as
described in Annex H of [ISO/IEC Directives].
"""

This includes the full list, whether used or not, and also indicates
what exactly these are associated with (generically).

B. In Section 1.2, Normative References

B.1, insert, following the [TAM] entry, the following entry:

   [TAML-schema] "Test Assertion Markup Language version 1.0 XML
Schema", Stephen D. Green, Editor.  OASIS Open Test Assertion Guidelines
TC.
February 2010.
http://docs.oasis-open.org/tag/taml/v1.0/testAssertionMarkupLanguage-v1.
xsd

B.2 In the references on [XSD1] and [XSD2], cite specific versions that
apply at this time and that [TAML-schema] relies on, as required in the
OASIS Guidelines and Templates.  Do not use generic citations in
normative references.  E.g., use, if these are intended:

   [XSD1]  W3C Recommendation "XML Schema Part 1: Structures Second
Edition", Henry S. Thompson, David Beech, Murray Maloney, and Noah
Mendelsohn, Editors.  28 October 2004.
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xmlschema-1-20041028/

   [XSD2]  W3C Recommendation "XML Schema Part 2: Datatypes Second
Edition", Paul V. Biron and Ashok Malhotra, Editors.  28 October 2004.
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xmlschema-2-20041028/

B.3 I note that there were no W3C Recommendations for XML Schema in
2000, and that the W3C is also careful to cross-reference between these
two specifications and others by specific-version citations.

C. In Section 2.1 Binding to Test Assertions, DELETE the last paragraph,
beginning "Elements 'testAssertion', 'testAssertionSet', ..."

This is because the statement doesn't accomplish anything and the
Conformance section handles what matters.  NOTE: In the Conformance
section, there is no mention of element testAssertionDocumentHeader as
the root element of a conformant instance.

D. In Section 2.2 Convention Used to Represent the XML Markup

D.1 In the second paragraph after the example, beginning "Finally, the
example contains ..." DELETE the final sentence:

"""
In the Test Assertion Markup Language these extra elements will not be
validated by W3C XML Schema validation, they are skipped.
"""

Why?  We don't know whether they will be validated or not.  They are
simply not constrained by our schema, but we don't need to observe
anything about that here.  Someone could introduce validation for
elements borrowed from other specifications, for example.  The
Conformance section establishes what matters here.

D.2 REPLACE the next-to-last paragraph of this section, beginning "The
full definition ..." with

"""
The authoritative schema for the syntax of Test Assertion Markup
Language is specified in Section 3.  The representations throughout this
specification are not to be taken as specifying the authoritative
syntax.  The XML markup representations support specification of
semantics and semantic constraints associated with the identified
syntactic features.
"""

D.3 In the final paragraph, beginning "The example contains the
following note ..." REMOVE the ">" after "{any attributes with
non-schema namespace .
. . }"

D.4 In the final paragraph before the NOTE, DELETE the final sentence,

"""
In the Test Assertion Markup Language these extra attributes will not be
validated by W3C XML Schema validation, they are skipped.
"""

[Side Note: attributes don't belong to namespaces unless they have an
explicit prefix, and the phrase non-schema namespace probably doesn't
capture what is presumably meant: that other attribute names must have
prefixedName form and be in some explicit namespace other than that for
TAML.  I am not going to fuss with that here.]

D.5 I am not sure the NOTE works, but I will not worry about that here.

E. In Section 3 XML Schema add the following subsection headings and
content in front of the schema extract:

"""
3.1 Authoritative Schema [Normative]

The XML Schema for Test Assertion Markup Language and its XML Namespace
is specified using a separate file [TAML-schema].  The schema and its
interpretation is that established by the W3C Recommendations for XML
Schema, [XSD1] and [XSD2].

3.2 Informative Schema [Non-Normative]

The following extract of [TAML-schema] is provided as a convenience for
information purposes only.  The schema file [TAML-schema] is the sole
authoritative version.
"""

F. Section 4, Conformance, Replace the section content with the
following:

"""
A Conforming Test Assertion is a Test Assertion Markup Language
testAssertion element that is valid according to the XML Schema (section
3) and satisfies all normative provisions in Sections 2.3 Test Assertion
and
2.6 Reserved Tag Names.

A Conforming Test Assertion Set is a Test Assertion Markup Language
testAssertionSet element that is valid according to the XML Schema
(section
3) and satisfies all normative provisions in Sections 2.3 Test
Assertion,
2.4 Test Assertion Set, 2.5 Test Assertion Reference, and 2.6 Reserved
Tag Names.

Conforming Test Assertions and Conforming Test Assertion Sets are
Conformant Test Assertion Markup Language instances.
"""

These changes remove the use of "instance" where it doesn't add anything
and also smoothes the narrative somewhat.  I note that there is nothing
here which has anything about testAssertionDocumentHeader elements.

 - Dennis