tag message

Subject: RE: [tag] FW: Groups - oasis - New ballot "Approval of TA Model + TA markup + Guidelines"

I suspect the ballot went to those 7 of us who are listed on it as eligible
to vote for it.  I notice that my notification came to me directly at my
OASIS member mailing address, not via the list.

I am assuming that those listed on the ballot as Eligible members on the
ballot are exactly those who were Voting Members at the conclusion of the
last TAG TC Meeting call, Tuesday, 2010-02-02, in accordance with the OASIS
Technical Committee Process of 2009-07-30 now in effect.  (I note on the TAG
TC Members Group Roster that I am not shown as a Voting Member although I
have not missed two consecutive meetings as far as I know and I have been a
Voting Member for some time.  Oddly, I am listed as eligible to vote on the
ballot despite my listed standing on the roster.  It seems to me that the
roster is not current.)

While there might be a gentlemen's agreement to limit the number of Members
from a single organization maintaining Voting Member Status (the preferable
way to do it) and/or the number that cast votes on a question of importance
(trickier), I believe that does not trump the OASIS TC Procedures.

It seems that the number of eligible Voting Members matters because it
determines the kind of majority required to approve the motion.  In
particular, the current motion requires a Full Majority Vote in which more
than half of the current Voting Members vote "yes."  If some Voting Members
feel a duty to not vote (or are inadvertently omitted from the ballot), it
makes achieving full majority more difficult and can actually lead to
failure of a ballot to pass.

It might be prudent to cancel this ballot, straighten out the Voting Member
status on the roster, and then initiate a new ballot based on that updated
result.

 - Dennis