tag message

Subject: TAG TC 2010-04-27 Meeting Minutes - Update

Test Assertions Guidelines (TAG) TC Teleconference Meeting

[2010-05-10 Update: Include Action Items in their own section.  Add Action
Items not reviewed from previous meeting.  Add remark from Kevin Looney.
See Jacques Durand note, <
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tag/201005/msg00004.html>.]

Logistics:
----------

Tuesday 2pm (PDT), 21:00Z, 27 April 2009

Host confcall: Fujitsu
US Toll Free: 877-995-3314
US Toll/International: 210-339-1806
Passcode: 9589308

Attendance and Quorum
---------------------

MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE

5/5 Voting Members attending: 3/5 requirement for quorum was satisfied

 * Jacques Durand, Chair (Fujitsu)
 * Dennis Hamilton, Secretary (Individual)
 * Frederick Boland (NIST)
 * Kevin Looney (Oracle)
 * Paul Rank (Oracle)

 [*: Voting member at start and conclusion of the meeting (5)]

MEMBERS ABSENT

   Dale Moberg (Axway Software)
   Kyoung_Rog Yi (National IT Industry Promotion Agency, Korea)
   Patrick Curran (Oracle) Leave of Absence
   Dmitry Kostovarov, (Oracle)
   Victor Rudometov, (Oracle)
   Hyunbo Cho (Pohang University of Science & Technology)

 [*: Voting member at start and conclusion of the meeting (0)]

APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
  The 2010-03-30 minutes were approved without objection
  <http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tag/201004/msg00000.html>

APPROVAL OF AGENDA
  The agenda was taken up without discussion
  <http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tag/201004/msg00002.html>

  Agenda:
  1- Review of comments (both external and internal) on the PR drafts
(closing May 9th).
   - comments from D.Pawson.
   - comments from D. Hazael-Massieux.
   - conf clause and getting 3 conforming implementations.
  2- administrative matters:
   - meeting notes approval (Mar 30).
   - JIRA issue tracker.
   - next PR.
   - promoting TAG work: venues, ideas, liaisons to other SDOs
   - tamelizer update.

ACTION ITEMS

  AI1-Apr27: [Dennis] to investigate "Compact" RelaxNG for our Markup
syntax.  [Jacques finds this tutorial:
http://www.relaxng.org/compact-tutorial-20030326.html ]

  AI2-Apr27: [Jacques] to check the JIRA page, possible re-configuration,
add Dennis as authorized user.

  AI1-Mar30: [Jacques] follow-up with Dave P. on his comments, to make sure
we address them correctly.

  AI2-Mar30: [Jacques] Follow-up with Mary to add Dennis as new secretary,
give access rights.

  AI3-Mar30: [Jacques] Contact W3C test team to remind them of PR , calling
for comments.

  AI4-Mar30: [Kevin] Contact Oracle internally to confirm they know about
the PR (folks who contacted him)

  AI5-Mar30: [Dennis] Investigate RDF possible representation for the TA
Model. (ontologies / OWL?)

 1. REVIEW OF COMMENTS RECEIVED SO FAR ON THE PUBLIC REVIEW (ending
2010-05-09)
    Dennis had created JIRA issues that corresponded to the different public
comments (threads) that have arrived so far.  Comments were added to the
issues to reflect the discussion.

    TAG-1: Dave Pawson Thread - Where are Semantics for TAML
<http://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/TAG-1>

    TAG-2: Dave Pawson Thread - Cross-Referencing between TAML and the Model
for Semantics <http://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/TAG-2>
  Our desire is to have TAML dependent on and conform to the model, and we
need to establish the connection better.  We discussed how much redundancy
there can be, and the notes under TAG-1 apply here too.
    Kevin made the point that, with regard to reusing terms, we need a way
to know those borrowed from the model and those belonging only to the
markup.

    TAG-3: Dave Pawson - Objection to Multiple inter-dependent documents
<http://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/TAG-3>.
   Following exchanges with Dave Pawson to see if we had an approach that
worked, Pawson expressed his requirement for single, standalone and
self-contained documents.  We want to make the documents easy to use but we
are continuing with the idea of having the three separate documents the
Model being the one the others depend on.

    TAG-4: Dominique Hazael-Massieux - Request for TAML Example and better
XML Skeleton Approach
<http://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/TAG-4>.
   We are interested in responding to this.  Dennis will find out what the
more-compact/simplified RelaxNG is [AI1-Apr27].  Full RNG Schema fragments
are not more compact than the XML Schema by much.  We need something more
palatable for easy reading.

    TAG-6: Jacques Durand - Need for Improved Model Conformance Clause.
This is an internal TAG TC issue.  Jacques is concerned that the Model
conformance requirements are too stringent and we are excluding conformant
uses.  The discussion of this revolves around the statements of support that
are required for advancement of Committee Specifications to OASIS Standard
and also what must be demonstrated in order to make a submission of the
OASIS Standard to a different standards body (i.e., a PAS submission to
ISO/IEC JTC1 or other ISO venue).
   The concern that Jacques has is that use of the model in the Guidelines
and especially the use by projects such as the OASIS SCA TC can't qualify as
conformant uses of the model.  (The Guidelines might be a stretch, but an
assertions made using the structures employed in the Guidelines might well
qualify, if the conformance clause is
adjusted to admit such practices.)

 2. ADMINISTRATIVE MATTERS
    We approved the previous minutes.

    Dennis pointed out that the Chair is the only one currently authorized
to use the JIRA workflow process.  Other members can introduce issues and
comment on issues, but they cannot move them through the workflow.  Also, we
need to set up "components" and targets (of issues and fixes) in JIRA.  Only
Jacques can do that.  Also, at the moment issues are automatically assigned
to Jacques because he is the only one currently authorized to process them.
This is JIRA Task TAG-5, < http://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/TAG-5>.
[AI2-Apr27]

    Jacques mentioned that there is a new release of Tamelizer and it should
qualify as a conforming implementation.

 3. ACTION ITEMS
    We did not review action items. We seem to be moving toward reviewing
JIRA issues as a way to deal with actions, tasks, and issues.

FUTURE MEETINGS

Dennis thought that May 24 was US Memorial Day.  To avoid collision with
that week with a May 25 meeting and to allow for action to start soon after
the close of public review, the next meeting was scheduled for May 18.

[Update: It was confirmed that US Memorial Day is May 31 this year.  The
Chair has set May 11 and May 25 as the meeting dates in May.]

Respectfully submitted,

 - Dennis Hamilton