Subject: [tm-pubsubj-comment] Comments on Use Case

Hi,

Here are some comments about Mary's excellent Use Case posted
 at

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tm-pubsubj/docs/registry-
usecase.htm

Mary outlines the advantages and disadvantages to using the
Dublin Core  Classification Schemes

Advantage: These organizations have huge subject databases that
can be  used by those who need to classify their subject. Much
work has gone into  the Dublin Core by many, many experts. This
would help in realizing a  standard that would be acceptable to
knowledge communities

I think this is very important. It would be foolhardy if not
impossible to  attempt to duplicate these efforts.

Disadvantage: Since all of these choices would be made available,
it might  be difficult for the publisher of the published subject to
know which one is  best. For example, since I am not familar with
the LCC, and wouldn't know  if DDC is a better choice, I would
need an expert to verify that the  classification I chose was the
best for the subject. This would be a great  responsibility on the
shoulders of the experts. It may be possible to have  some kind of
self registration and validation. How can we depend on the  validity
of the subject? Are human resources available to do the validation
or  some validation by some online database? This would need
careful  consideration by the users of the resources. Another
problem would be  multiple entries (non unique subject identities).
One person could register  an LCC for "Dublin Core" as a subject
while another person might want to  register it as a DDC.

These are very valid points. I think the project at hand is so large
 that we  will need to build into the standard a very flexible
approach that allows  Topic Map creators the use of these class
schemes while tolerating the  possiblility that they might be
misused. Valididity, over time, will derive    from trustworthiness
of authors and as Mary indicates there could be  some sorts of
validating agents.  Also, we may be able to map (using a  Topic
Map?) subjects from one scheme to another such as the LCSH -
 - CANCER to the MESH --NEOPLASMS. Even this
however, would  be a large undertaking. In order for the
Published Subjects system to be  generally useful it seems to me
that it will be necessary to 1) allow Topic  Map creators access
to the best developed general classification  schemes such as
those outlined in Dublin Core 2) allow them to also  associate
internally generated class schemes appropriate to a small
community, or 3) choose not to use  Published Subjects at all if
the  Topic Map is just for local use. Perhaps one of the
decisions about how  and which maps to merge may have to do
with which class scheme is  used and how well it  maps to
another class scheme--- but determining  that mapping will
require expertise.

The alternative is  the creation of a single repository with
Published  Subjects that some group (us?) establishes and
maintains. Since I know   the  time and energy  expended by  the
 Library Of Congress on creating,  maintining and modifying the
LCSH classification system, I would  not  recommend this
approach unless there are enormous resources  available. And
even if there were, it seems unlikely that a single  repository
would meet all of the classification needs of every Topic Map
from the most specific to the most general.

On another note, A feature of some of the early PSI's that I saw
was the  addition of some association elements to the subject.
Most of the Dublin  Core classification schemes don't go much
beyond "broader term" or  "narrower term".  I don't know how
the associations would be added to  the subjects in the above
schemes.

---Suellen