Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj] Re: [tm-pubsubj-comment] Comments on Use Case

Hi,

After I sent out my previous message, I realized that I was quoting from
XML Schema fro ISO 13250 Topic Maps, at
http://www.diffuse.org/TopicMaps/schema.html

>"A subject descriptor is a reference to a positive, unambiguous,
>indication of the identity of a subject.
>For example, it could be a reference to some descriptive text, a Dewey
>Decimal Code or a Universal Decimal Classification. A public subject
>descriptor is a subject descriptor which is designed to be used as a
>common referent of the identity attribute in many topic maps."
>
>"Any two topics that have the same URI as the value of their identity
>attribute  are considered to be equivalent to a single topic that is the
>union of the  contents of the two topics, and of any associations that
>reference them."

I found it very useful to look at the above definitions together with the
definitions from ISO/IEC FCD 13250:1999 - Topic Maps  at
<http://www.ornl.gov/sgml/sc34/document/0058.htm>

subject descriptor
Information which is intended to provide a positive, unambiguous indication
of the identity of a subject, and which is the referent of an identity
attribute of a topic link.

NOTE 6: there is no requirement that a subject descriptor be text, although
it can be the text of a definition of the subject. it can also, for example
be a listing a  catalog of subjects, such as a acquisition number of an
asset in a museum collection, a catalog number is a sales catalog, or a
subject heading in a catalog of library subject headings. The distinction
between a subject descriptor that happens to be a definition and an
ordinary occurrence of a definition is that, in the case of the subject
descriptor, the topic link's author has indicated (by referring to it by
means of the value of the identity attribute) that it is to be regarded as
the authoritative definition of the organizing principle of the topic link.
In the other case, by characterizing a definition as a definitional
occurrence, the author is merely acknowledging the existence of the
definition and its possible relevance to the subject of the topic link.

NOTE 7: Subject descriptors may be offline resources.

public subject descriptor
A subject descriptor (see the definition of subject descriptor) which is
used (or, especially, which is designed to be used) as a common referent of
the identity attributes of many topic links in many topic maps. The subject
described by the subject descriptor is thus easily recognized as the common
binding point of all the topic links that reference it, so that they will
be merged.

The optional subject identity (identity) attribute refers to one or more
indications (subject descriptors) of the identity of the subject (the
organizing principle) of the topic link. All of the other topic
characteristics specified by the topic link are regarded as elaborating,
and in no way contradicting, the subject described by the subject
descriptor(s), if any. There are no restrictions on the kinds of
information that may be referenced by an identity attribute.

NOTE 20: The information referenced by an identity attribute may or may not
take the form of a topic link in a topic map document, may or may not be
text, may or may not be machine-interpretable, and may or may not be online.

Any two or more topic links that reference the same subject by means of
their identity attributes are equivalent to a single topic link that has
the union of the characteristics (the names, occurrences, and associations)
of both topic links. The two or more topic links may be merged, and/or
applications may process and/or render them as if they have been merged.

NOTE 21: The two or more topic links do not have to refer to the same
subject descriptor in order to be merged under this rule. It is only
necessary that the subject that is somehow indicated by the two identity
attributes be one and the same subject. If two or more topics refer to
exactly the same subject descriptor, the subject descriptor may be
described as a public subject descriptor, and it becomes possible to
automate the merging of all such topics by making the assumption that, if
they all share the same subject descriptor, they all share the same subject
identity.

Similarly, if the identity attribute references one or more topic links,
topic map processing applications must regard the referencing topic link,
and all the referenced topic links, as having one and the same subject, and
therefore they may all be merged.

And now compare this to the definitions in XTM at
http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/1.0/ . We have

subject identity
1. The <subjectIdentity> child of a <topic> element.
2. That which makes two subjects identical, or distinguishes one subject
from another. The determination of subject identity is aided, and may be
automated, by the use of published subjects.
3. A criterion for merging topics as defined in Annex F: XTM Processing
Requirements.

subject indicator -  A resource that is intended by the topic map author to
provide a positive, unambiguous indication of the identity of a subject.

published subject indicator - A subject indicator that is published and
maintained at an advertised address for the purpose of facilitating topic
map interchange and mergeability.

These definitions bring up many questions for me such as

What is the difference between a "resource" and "information"?

Information that is not maintained at an advertised address now will need
to be if it is to become  a published subject. This would be a requirement
for anyone who wanted their information included. We would in a sense be
promoting the publication of information at a stable online address?

Some more food for thought.

Best regards,
Mary