Subject: Range of Application

Greetings!

Since I hinted that prior discussion would help us be productive in the
teleconference, I took that to apply to myself as well. ;-)

In Bernard's post of 31 Oct 2003, he refers to the psdoc.htm (which can
now be found at:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/876/psdoc.htm), as a
good starting point for discussion of a deliverable he termed "Published
Subjects Documentation - General Definitions."

I have a question about the range of applicability of that deliverable.

It is noted in the Scope and Purpose Statement of that document that:

> The first and main target of this recommendation is therefore topic
> maps interoperability, through efficient definition and identification
> of subjects represented by topics in topic maps.
>
> This initial target is likely to be extended in the future to a wide
> range of applications or technologies making explicit use of abstract
> representations of subjects. Those include for example applications
> leveraging ontologies or vocabularies, search engines, intelligent
> agents, and other foreseeable or yet unknown Semantic Web
> tools. Throughout the present document, the generic term applications
> is used to refer to either topic maps applications or any other such
> technologies.

In terms of definitions, while we may favor topic maps by using familiar
terms (to people in the topic map community), is there any reason to
think such definitions will not be equally applicable to any other
application or technology?

What I am thinking is that the definitions should be as generic to the
general concept of PSIs as possible so as to allow for future
deliverables to address the needs to topic maps and other technologies
(or the development of deliverables by other communities for their own
purposes).

Not a major point but one that I would prefer to have clear at the outset.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau